Return to Baseball Leftovers

If I could choose the All Star team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

If I could choose the All Star team

Postby jwhands » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:06 am

This would be my roster for the All Star team this year. Go ahead and post your picks too.

NL

C Javy Lopez, Paul LoDuca
1b Todd Helton, Richie Sexson
2b Jeff Kent, Aaron Boone
3b Albert Pujols, Mike Lowell
ss Rafael Furcal, Edgar Renteria, Orlando Cabrera
OF Gary Sheffield, Barry Bonds, Preston Wilson, Corey Patterson, Andruw Jones, Austin Kearns, Luis Gonzalez, Ryan Klesko
SP Kevin Brown, Mark Prior, Randy Wolf, Woody Williams, Kerry Wood, Jason Schmidt
RP John Smoltz, Eric Gagne, Billy Wagner, Armando Benitez, Mike Williams

AL

C Jorge Posada, Jason Varitek
1b Carlos Delgado, Rafael Palmeiro, Mike Sweeney
2b Alfonso Soriano, Bret Boone
3b Troy Glaus, Hank Blalock, Edgar Martinez
ss Nomar Garciaparra, Alex Rodriguez
OF Vernon Wells, Manny Ramirez, Raul Mondesi, Garrett Anderson, Rocco Baldelli, Ichiro Suzuki, Dmitri Young
SP Jamie Moyer, Sidney Ponson, Mark Mulder, Roy Halladay, Esteban Loaiza, Gil Meche, Barry Zito
RP Eddie Guardado, Ugueth Urbina, Keith Foulke, Danys Baez
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:18 am

The only change I'd make is that I'd put in CC Sabathia instead of Baez as Cleveland's rep. Sabathia has pitched extremely well this year, although he's gotten little run support.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lepke » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:49 am

I'm not bashing you jw-- :-)

But Fan voting makes me absolutely sick... When I voted, Giambi was the 2nd highest vote getter for 1B, and guys like Sosa/Vlad were near the top as well.. Sickening.

And Brenly last year picking umpteen DBacks to go was a joke. Ugh. And they wonder why no one watches these things... :-P
Lepke

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:21 am

Lepke wrote:I'm not bashing you jw-- :-)

But Fan voting makes me absolutely sick... When I voted, Giambi was the 2nd highest vote getter for 1B, and guys like Sosa/Vlad were near the top as well.. Sickening.

And Brenly last year picking umpteen DBacks to go was a joke. Ugh. And they wonder why no one watches these things... :-P

I see what you're saying. I agree there should be less of that voting. I think the players stats should indicate whether or not they make the All-star game. Not a players popularity. Floyd last year was a good example of a guy that shoulda been there and wasnt. You've got Rolen so far this year leading at 3rd. He's good yes.. But Lowell has been a machine on offense.. but plays on a lesser team and he isnt even close to Rolen in the voting. Last time i saw that is. System is flawed if you ask me.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Quaker » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:23 am

I think voting should be a part of it, but not all of it. I would like to see the voting system be 50% fans voting and 50% the players themselves voting.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Derrick » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:38 am

I'd vote for Pierzynski over Varitek as AL catcher right now
Derrick

Re: If I could choose the All Star team

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:53 pm

I agree with your picks for the most part...

In the NL, I don't think Mike Williams should make the team this season (with that 6+ ERA, last I checked); the Pirates' only semi-legit All-Star (discounting Brian Giles who missed too much time) is, unfortunately for Pirates fans, Kenny Lofton. And although I don't know how to shuffle the lineup to fix this, Matt Morris and Scott Rolen have also been All-Star material so far this year.

In the AL, I would also take Sabathia over Baez. I'd also replace Mondesi with Mike Mussina, though I'm not definite if that's too many starting pitchers.

Postby The Zot » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:05 pm

Where's Baldelli and Huff on that List? And Mike Young of Texas is having a monster year...and where is Jim Edmonds on this list? B-)
The Zot

Oops

Postby The Zot » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:18 pm

Sorry, just need glasses...Baldelli is there. :-D
The Zot

Postby brdmaverick » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:33 pm

I think your picks are very good, and you even handled the tough task of getting "All Stars" from horrible teams in there.

I don't however, agree with getting Mike Williams in the All Star game. He has been on my fantasy team and I know that he is has been horrible last year. His ERA is horrible, his strikeouts are low, and he has more walks than K's. Are those the kind of numbers you want from and All Star closer?

I know that this would not be fair to Kearns, but I would suggest replacing Kearns with Kenny Lofton, and then replacing Mike Williams with Scott Williamson. Williamson has a been great for the Reds, and he has the difficult task of having to close games in a home run launching pad.
(Aramis Ramirez has come on strong after a horrible start, so maybe he could get in there instead of Lofton)

I hate the Yanks, but I still think there has to be a way to get Mike Mussina in there.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers