Return to Baseball Leftovers

If I could choose the All Star team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Greenrider » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:37 pm

brdmaverick wrote:I don't however, agree with getting Mike Williams in the All Star game.

I think what jwhands was going for was a realistic ballot (i.e. every team must have a representative), and since Giles isn't on there, Williams is practically the only remaining choice for a Pirates rep, since Aramis Ramriez has come on too late to displace Lowell.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:44 pm

There's no way you can leave Kearns off the all star team given the kind of season he's put up. He's on pace to hit 36 HR and 135 RBIs.

I agree with taking Mike Williams out, but you could even replace him with Aramis Ramirez as the Pirates' rep. He is hitting over .300 right now. Also, Pujols is not going to be considered a 3B on the all star ballot, he'll be taken as an outfielder, so you'd need another 3B to go along with Lowell.

I also might remove Billy Wagner since the Astros already have a rep in Jeff Kent and since he has been good but not in the league of Gagne and Smoltz. Benitez has to stay in as the Mets only rep.

I also think Kerry Wood is not deserving given his mediocre won-lost record and his ERA is not that great. I would take out Wood and add Hideo Nomo, who has more wins, a better ERA and a better WHIP.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kcs261 » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:47 pm

I don't think Pujols will be eligible at 3B. He has spent most of his time in OF, with some at 1B. So I think Pujols should be a starter in the OF, with one of those Ofers, Patterson maybe, being bumped. Scott Rolen should then be added as the second 3rd baseman.

I'd also put Huff in place of Baldelli. I would also consider adding Milton Bradley over Baez as Cleveland's rep, although Baez wouldn't be a terrible choice.

Otherwise, it's not a bad list...
Last edited by kcs261 on Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:48 pm

Another option for the Mets rep would be to take Jae Weong Seo instead of Benitez. He has a 2.88 ERA right now, which is better than Wolf or Wood's ERA and is quite an accomplishment given the Mets terrible defense and run support.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kcs261 » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:52 pm

Two other critiques. One, leaving Mussina off the All-Star team would be tough. I think he has outpitched Zito this year. Second, Alex Gonzalez (FLA) deserves serious consideration at NL SS. I think he has played every bit as good as the three guys you penciled in.
Last edited by kcs261 on Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:52 pm

One thing that we have to remember is that the managers Dusty Baker in the NL and Mike Scioscia in the AL get to pick who goes that isn't voted in by fans.

Usually all star managers like to reward their own players before anyone else's, so it's literally certain that Dusty is going to take Prior, Wood, Patterson, and possibly Alou and Borowski just for that reason alone.

In the AL, Scioscia managing makes Anderson a lock and he has already said he is considering taking Brendan Donnelly with his 0.26 ERA apparently. If Donnelly goes, Foulke, Guardado or Urbina will get passed over. I'd also expect Scioscia to take Washburn and maybe Fullmer.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:55 pm

Another thing is that right now, Pudge Rodriquez is way ahead in NL catcher balloting. That means that if he is voted in, they'd either have to take three catchers or boot out either Javy Lopez or Lo Duca. I think that in that case, Lopez should be knocked off because Lo Duca has gotten passed over two straight years despite having an average around .320, ridiculously high for a catcher at the break. Lopez has had just one really hot streak this year but I think Lo Duca is more deserving.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:05 pm

something else that annoys me about the system is that ballots are sent to Japan. So of course, who do you think they'll vote for? Ichiro and Matsui- how else can u explain that Matsui is so high when he shouldn't be and Ichiro is by far, not even among the top-5 best outfielders in the game, but the votes make it seem like he is.
blankman

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:09 pm

I think that Ichiro is a top 5 outfielder in the AL at least, but it's hard to really compare him with the slugging outfielders, because his game is so much different. Just watching last night's Braves/Mariners game, Ichiro basically single handedly won the game for the Mariners by getting on base and then stealing his way into scoring position for both of their runs. The impact a guy like that can have on the game is just as signifigant as the impact a slugger like Manny Ramirez can have IMO.

What bothers me the most is that Corkin' Sammy is almost certainly getting voted into the all star game, being the #2 outfield vote getter so far. Corked bats aside, he in no way deserves to be there, with his horrible numbers and season long slump even when he's not on the DL to get toenail manicuring done.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:44 pm

I am (or at least was) a big Sammy Sosa fan, and I was thrilled when he fell to me in the second round of my 12 team draft this year, but I will tell you what, cork or no cork, it would be an emabarrasment to the game to have him in the All Star Game this year with the numbers he is putting up. It is along the same lines as having Vince Carter voted in as a starter for last year's NBA All Star game, or when Kobe was voted a starter for the All Star game and WASN"T a starter on HIS OWN TEAM.

JDH, I have only been a fan of baseball for a couple of years now, and a comment that you made got my attention. You said that Dusty Baker will select the reserves for the All Star team. That just sounds odd to me, I figured it would be the San Fran's manager (whoever that old guy is) who got to do the selecting.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers