Return to Baseball Leftovers

More Trouble from Dodger Town

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

More Trouble from Dodger Town

Postby Rirruto » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:27 pm

Prior to tonight's game, Milton Bradley accused Jeff Kent of an inability to deal with black players and a lack of leadership.
So much for keeping this within the clubhouse. ''The problem is, he doesn't know how to deal with African-American people,'' Bradley said. ''I think that's what's causing everything. It's a pattern of things that have been said -- things said off the cuff that I don't interpret as funny. It may be funny to him, but it's not funny to Milton Bradley. But I don't take offense to that because we all joke about race in here. Race is an issue with everything we do in here.'' Bradley went on to accuse the media of coming to his locker first Tuesday because he is black. Kent had not yet arrived at his locker. We probably haven't heard the last of this. Aug. 23 - 9:24 pm et
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:29 pm

``I was told in spring training I was the team leader by Paul DePodesta. By Jim Tracy. By Frank McCourt,'' Bradley said of the Dodgers' general manager, manager and owner. ``And if you're going to be the leader of the team, then you need to mingle with the team and associate with the team. I mean, you can't have your locker in the corner, put your headphones on and sit in the corner reading a motocross magazine. He's in his own world. Everybody else is in this world.'' ``At no time am I going to let somebody question my hustle, my injury or question my motivation for playing,'' Bradley said. ``I watch him on the field, and I follow in his footsteps and the things he does on the field. As far as off the field, he has no clue about leadership.

Kent, a former NL MVP who feuded with Barry Bonds in San Francisco, defended himself following Bradley's accusations.

``He can go ahead and say those types of things, and it comes from an incident that he still doesn't get. And that's a shame,'' Kent said. ``If you think that I've got a problem with African-Americans, then go talk to Dusty Baker. Go talk to Dave Winfield, who took me under his wing. Go talk to Joe Carter -- all the guys that I idolized in this game and all the veteran players who taught me how to play this game.

``That's a shame, and I take offense to that. That's just absolutely pathetic if it comes from his mouth.''
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -26)

Postby bleach168 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:41 pm

I wouldn't want either of those guys to be the leader of my team.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:56 pm

its always racism :-t
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -52)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:00 pm

lol, I guess if your team sucks you might as well blame it on someone you don't like, right?

Grow up Milton Bradley, or should I say, hey Milton Bradley, tell Milton Bradley to grow up. What a 3rd person whack-job.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby RynMan » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:01 pm

We should have seen this coming from a mile away. The mediation class is right next to Milton's anger management class. Maybe Kent can meet up with him there. :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby zhutou » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:02 pm

damn i'm sick of this race bullsh!t. why must blacks never take the blame? kent should sue bradley for libel. oh wait, if he did it would be racism and the naacp would be all over him.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby ramble2 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:15 pm

Ramble2 thinks that sometimes, "We need you to be a team leader" is code for, "We need you to stop physically attacking fans and teammates."
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby yanks#27 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:23 pm

Why do players blame each other for not being the leader, why don't YOU become the leader! The captain is supposed to be the leader, but it's really just a title, it means squat in my perspective. You want a leader, become a leader.

Also, you have a problem with a player, why don't you tell him face to face.
New York Yankees 2005 Champs
yanks#27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby warrick95 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:48 pm

DePo told Milton that he'd be the leader? That's like telling a pedophile to be a preschool teacher. Christ...I'm a huge Bradley fan, but that was awfully stupid. This is a guy coming off counseling.

I've defended Bradley on numerous accounts here, from the plastic bottle incident, to the ball-throwing tirade, to not running out outs in Cleveland...but I can't agree with what he said here. I, personally, don't know if Kent is a racist and don't really think so, but it really doesn't seem so. However, Kent may not be a good chooser of words, which may be why Bradley is angry at Kent. He may have made racial jokes or whatever, that even in a light manner, are still questionable. Different people have different sensitivities toward race. Bradley says that he's not offended or disturbed, but I think he is. I think Kent may have always had an issue with not being labeled the #1 on a team, as was the case with Barry. Not that he as black.

Oh, I have nothing against the third person thing, really. It's a sign of confidence; that's all.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers