Return to Baseball Leftovers

More Trouble from Dodger Town

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:10 am

Kent may well be a racist, who knows. But I also agree that Bradley is not the most credible source.

But I agree that the puzzling thing is the 9% accusation, which no one in the press seems to recognize as BS. 9% is basically in line with the percetnage of the US population that is black, and the ratio of US born blacks to whites in MLB is far higher than the population at large, so Bradley really has nothing to complain about.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2724
(Past Year: -5)
Joined: 9 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:38 pm

josebach wrote:The people that are the most racist are the quickest to label others as such. It's human nature to assume others are as you are. Some families (both black and white) are raised on hate and intolerance. I've seen it. It's bred into them. I believe as time goes by, society will improve and each generation will grow more and more tolerable. 20 or 30 years ago it was a lot worse than it is now and in another 20 or 30 years, it will be that much better. It just takes time.


i agree with everything you just said except this

The only difference is that black people can get away with revealing that hatred while white people can't.

If a person of color mentions racism, he is immediatly labled as a reverse racist, and having played the all so horrible race card. It is societies new way of dealing with these type of accusations, blame the accuser!

as to the third person thing, the press took that slightly out of context .. (imagine that)

The comment was ..
"But there are things said off the cuff that I don't interpret as being funny. They are funny to him and Jeff Foxworthy, but not to Milton Bradley." (should he have just said ME? would he have a better hold on reality in your opinion then?)

"If somebody says to you, 'you're an idiot,' and laughs and walks away," Bradley said, "and comes back the next day and says 'you're an idiot' and looks you in the eye, and comes to you again and says 'you're an idiot' and stands there looking you in the face, pretty soon you're going to take that seriously. So it's not about the team this or the team that. He's got a problem with something I'm doing."
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:02 pm

Let me ask you this then wr. Why is it that Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle and numerous other black stand up comedians can make fun of blacks and whites, calling both some of the most offensive terms, and be called hilarious and ground-breaking yet if a white comedian said the exact same thing, he'd be labeled a racist? Its done all the time, Chappelle goes around on his should calling people crackers and honkies yet no white comedian would even think of making a show calling blacks the 'n' word.

Also interesting is that you'll see 'nigger' starred out like n*gger if its ever written, but an equally offensive term to whites you'll see it all spelled out like its no big deal.


The racial double standard in this country is simply ridiculous. Quite simply, blacks have a media license to say whatever racist remarks they like with little consequences yet if a white person says something that's not intended to be racist, but it can be contrued as racist, he loses his job.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10559
(Past Year: -211)
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y2J » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:04 am

yes, african americans have the right to make fun of whites. its what whites must put up with for slavery. dont ever say it should be equal, they deserve more freedom of speech because of our f-d up history
Y2J
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 119
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: L.A.

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:10 am

Y2J wrote:yes, african americans have the right to make fun of whites. its what whites must put up with for slavery. dont ever say it should be equal, they deserve more freedom of speech because of our f-d up history


*just shakes head*

If thats really what you think, wow.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10559
(Past Year: -211)
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:30 am

Milton Bradley should worry about taking his game to the next level before he worries about who the leader is. Jeff Kent... well... I will say he provides veteren leadership, but he's not exactly a team leader.

So in essence, we are left with a loudmouth-good-but-not-great ball player and a 37-year-old-porn-mustache-having power hitter. And no leader. And a relatively big playroll.
Image

The lightside shall prevail...

Oh, and go Dodgers!
no1cowboysfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 36
(Past Year: -16)
Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:44 am

blankman wrote:Let me ask you this then wr. Why is it that Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle and numerous other black stand up comedians can make fun of blacks and whites, calling both some of the most offensive terms, and be called hilarious and ground-breaking yet if a white comedian said the exact same thing, he'd be labeled a racist? Its done all the time, Chappelle goes around on his should calling people crackers and honkies yet no white comedian would even think of making a show calling blacks the 'n' word.

Also interesting is that you'll see 'nigger' starred out like n*gger if its ever written, but an equally offensive term to whites you'll see it all spelled out like its no big deal.


The racial double standard in this country is simply ridiculous. Quite simply, blacks have a media license to say whatever racist remarks they like with little consequences yet if a white person says something that's not intended to be racist, but it can be contrued as racist, he loses his job.


It is quite simple actually...

And it needs to be taken in context

The N word is a label put on blacks by society through out a long sick history. But when spoken in the context that you are using, it is not being used in a demeaning way, but just as a way to describe another.

But when you say it .. It is demeaning, whether you intend to or not.

An example would be the "J" word.
If you or I were to call a person that practices Judaism a "J**" it would be demeaning to that person, because that is a label a sick society has put on them. But they have the liberty to freely use it to describe one another, because they are obviously not using it in a demeaning way, more in a descriptive way.

Here is another example.
If a white friend of yours walked up to you and called you a cracker. Would you be offended? Probably not! You would just look at him as if he is an idiot and go about your business. But if a black person said the same thing to you, you would probably want to deck him now wouldn't you? ..

Its called context
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:48 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:Milton Bradley should worry about taking his game to the next level before he worries about who the leader is. Jeff Kent... well... I will say he provides veteren leadership, but he's not exactly a team leader.

So in essence, we are left with a loudmouth-good-but-not-great ball player and a 37-year-old-porn-mustache-having power hitter. And no leader. And a relatively big playroll.


Milton was having a fine season till he got injured . :-?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:36 am

The sooner both sides take responsibilities for their shortcomings, the sooner race will become less of an issue. Everybody points the finger at the other side. Neither side is all right or all wrong. Both have faults. Does recognizing those faults make one a racist? Not in my opinion. You can't go through life with blinders on. It's when you start allowing those thoughts to come across in your actions and words that make you a racist.

We're different from each other. I mentioned human nature before and I'll do it again. It's human nature to not understand or like somebody different than you. Why do you think nerds and geeks always get beat up or made fun of in high school? Because they're different. As an adult it's your responsiblity to recognize those differences and not allow them to affect how you act. It's also your responsibility to make sure your kids do the same.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2033
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron