Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Klesko ever heat up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Klesko ever heat up?

Postby Dr.DooM » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:56 am

This guy is still young. He's been hit with nagging injuries earlier this season but he should be better by now. Are we ever going to see him bounce back this year? I feel that he's not good enough to get off the bench but too good to drop. I also have Mondesi, Mora, and Damon on the bench that I am also considering dropping (nobody wants to trade for them in my league).
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Will Klesko ever heat up?

Postby willieroe » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:00 pm

Klesko murders the ball at Coors Field, so be sure to put him in your lineup if he's playing. If he's going to break out, now's the time. If he doesn't go wild, drop him. Excluding his home runs, Klesko has only 11 runs scored this year, which is dreadful.
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby thehat » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:10 pm

Klesko still young? Depends on your vantage point, I guess. He's 33 and given his injury history and lingering back problems, he's anything but young. Note that he can no longer steal bases. Two years ago, he was 23 for 27. This season, he's zip for three. He's gone back to being totally ineffective vs. lefties, an old trait from his Braves days that has resurfaced. Not having Nevin hitting next to him has seen him suffer a decrease in good pitches to hit. I would expect Klesko to improve on his present numbers to a mild extent, but nothing dramatic.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:15 pm

Don't give up on Klesko yet. He has only played 58/70 of his team's games. He is not doing that bad. He is the kind of player that doesn't do one thing extremely well but he scores across the board. I ran his numbers over 145 games and this is what you get

Hits-120
Runs-58
2B-28
HR-30
RBI-108
BB-85
K-108

His runs are a little low, but I'm hoping for an increase in the 2nd half. With a little hot streak he cound have a .280 AVG/35 2B/35HR/120 RBI/75 runs season. That's a nice little season. What hurts him are the other Padre hitters.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:20 pm

thehat wrote:Klesko still young? Depends on your vantage point, I guess. He's 33 and given his injury history and lingering back problems, he's anything but young. Note that he can no longer steal bases. Two years ago, he was 23 for 27. This season, he's zip for three. He's gone back to being totally ineffective vs. lefties, an old trait from his Braves days that has resurfaced. Not having Nevin hitting next to him has seen him suffer a decrease in good pitches to hit. I would expect Klesko to improve on his present numbers to a mild extent, but nothing dramatic.

Not to be a wise guy, but Klesko just turned 32 on June 2nd. But I agree his speed is gone. He steals from '01-02 were a complete fluke. Other than those two years he has never stolen bases.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:10 pm

Don't expect any steals for the rest of the season. With how injury plaqued the Padres have been, and Klesko being their only legitimate hitter, plus his bum ankle, they won't want him risking injury.

I still think he should be good for around a .270 average, 30 homers and 90-100 RBI, which is still decent production, especially on such a dreadful team.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:16 pm

LCBOY...yep, you're right. Just turned 32. I can no longer add, evidently. Still think his upside the rest of this year is iffy, although if Nevin comes back mid-August he could surge some.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby Dr.DooM » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:12 am

Whoa, Klesko just stole his first base of the season. Maybe that ankle is feeling better?
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Will Klesko ever heat up?

Postby willieroe » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:17 pm

willieroe wrote:Klesko murders the ball at Coors Field, so be sure to put him in your lineup if he's playing. If he's going to break out, now's the time. If he doesn't go wild, drop him. Excluding his home runs, Klesko has only 11 runs scored this year, which is dreadful.

Told ya' so.... :-)
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby kentx12 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:08 pm

Thanks for the tip, Too bad I didn't listen and start him.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers