Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cheating the Innings Limit in Yahoo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:56 pm

I never said I wasn't going to do it too :-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:07 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:Cheating is wrong. I'm shocked and appalled at you guys.

;-7

Hey, didn't you trade me Halladay last week?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:12 pm

DK wrote:

;-7

Even I would never sink that low... and I kick puppies and shove old ladies :-b
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:14 pm

DK wrote:

;-7

I believe he did... after I gave him the recommendation to do so.

}:-)
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:25 pm

This can be a VERY high risk move though. Make sure to sit down and figure out what your current ER's (actual earned runs given up) is at the time and project what a worst-case scenario would be for your ERA would be if those guys pitched 30 innings and gave up 30 runs. If that type of a day would cost you more than a point or two in ERA/WHIP it's just not worth it. If however you're unlikely to lose more than a point or two and you're very likely to gain several points in wins/k's then it's well worth trying it.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:18 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
DK wrote:

;-7

I believe he did... after I gave him the recommendation to do so.

}:-)

mweir gave us some good advice ;-D

Anyway I did this last year and it totally backfired on me. I did move up 2 spots each in Wins and K's but I went down 3 spots in ERA and WHIP. Really stupid move on my part, I shouldve known I wasnt starting the best options for pitching. Im sure if you can find a day with a bunch of WW material guys with good matchups, Im sure it could help you tremendously.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:53 pm

Just be sure to maximize your IP at the end. Get close but not too close in case some pitchers go too many innings the night before. You can also find some RP eligible starters to fill in some other spots. Last year, I was so far ahead in saves that I benched some closers and picked up a ton of starters. I had my 2 SP, my 2 RP, and my 3 P slots all filled on the last day. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby swyck » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:21 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Thanks, the Hail Mary sounds familiar. It's good to know and will have to be a strategy I consider in my league since it's so close in Wins, K's, ERA and WHIP with only a 2 point difference overall between myself and 1st place right now.

This sounds nice for Wins and Ks but If its close in ERA and WHIP, IMO it can hurt you more then help you. Stocking up on FA pitchers with starts that day -- who are these guys? If you weren't pitching them before why would you want to now? Just grabbing guys and tossing them out there, I'm not sold on.

On the other hand if you are treating this like a spot start scenario, and you see some good opprtunities, thats different.

One question that I have here is who are you cutting to bring in these SPs? If you're cutting quality closers or SPs, those are waiver wire pickups for other teams that still have IPs to burn. Do you really want to do that?
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:26 am

swyck wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:Thanks, the Hail Mary sounds familiar. It's good to know and will have to be a strategy I consider in my league since it's so close in Wins, K's, ERA and WHIP with only a 2 point difference overall between myself and 1st place right now.

This sounds nice for Wins and Ks but If its close in ERA and WHIP, IMO it can hurt you more then help you. Stocking up on FA pitchers with starts that day -- who are these guys? If you weren't pitching them before why would you want to now? Just grabbing guys and tossing them out there, I'm not sold on.

On the other hand if you are treating this like a spot start scenario, and you see some good opprtunities, thats different.

One question that I have here is who are you cutting to bring in these SPs? If you're cutting quality closers or SPs, those are waiver wire pickups for other teams that still have IPs to burn. Do you really want to do that?

As with anything, you have to be smart. Plan accordingly. Look for guys that have been pitching well and scout what the other teams in your league are doing. When I did it, 8 teams in my league were already over their max IP and the other 3 couldn't catch me in saves so it worked great. Just check the probables for the next few nights and pick the best expected day.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:05 pm

first, its not cheating. say you had 2 innings left? which two would get applied?

Second, it can work, I made out like a bandit last year. But it helps to figure out how much you are trending, and take the best dual eligibility pitchers early (if poosible), then figure out the day that would have the best matchups with the best aviabale pitchers (factoring in your aces). You definitely want to have your "last day" coincide with your studs if possible. plan it out, then blast that last day. it can work well. best if you don't care about whip.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers