Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cheating the Innings Limit in Yahoo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:17 pm

Yeah, that's one key - you HAVE to make sure that this catches your ace pitchers. If you're not past/don't have a trading deadline it would be wise to trade your aces to guys that have a start on that day as well even if they're a slight downgrade (as long as the team you trade with won't hurt you in the standings with those pitchers).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:31 pm

great gretzky wrote:first, its not cheating. say you had 2 innings left? which two would get applied?

Second, it can work, I made out like a bandit last year. But it helps to figure out how much you are trending, and take the best dual eligibility pitchers early (if poosible), then figure out the day that would have the best matchups with the best aviabale pitchers (factoring in your aces). You definitely want to have your "last day" coincide with your studs if possible. plan it out, then blast that last day. it can work well. best if you don't care about whip.

Not sure if you're asking a question or quoted someone else but if you have 2 innings left going into today and you accumulate 35 innings today, you get credit for all 35.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Chuckles » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:30 am

Madison wrote:AKA: Hail Mary

Typical thing that quite a few people do in Yahoo leagues. Get as close to the innings max as possible, then load up on starters for one final day of pitching stats, since they all count. You can get an extra 30-40 innings if you play it right.

However, in competitive leagues, it can backfire heavily and kill you in era/whip.

A risky play, but one that is pretty common.

A couple years ago a guy had a good lead in third place (money league paying the top 3 spots). The guy in 4th did this, started like 6 or 7 guys. He ended up beating the other guy out of third. We all thought it was pretty cheap (obviously the guy who did it didn't feel that way!). As far as I know he still got the money (the guy performing the "hail mary"). Anyway, we decided against it in this league from now on.

Of course you can usually tell if a guy's going to do that if he's dropping the farm on one of the last days, picking up guys left and right. In that case it's possible to do it back to even the playing field a bit.
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:16 pm

Chuckles wrote:

Typical thing that quite a few people do in Yahoo leagues. Get as close to the innings max as possible, then load up on starters for one final day of pitching stats, since they all count. You can get an extra 30-40 innings if you play it right.

However, in competitive leagues, it can backfire heavily and kill you in era/whip.

A couple years ago a guy had a good lead in third place (money league paying the top 3 spots). The guy in 4th did this, started like 6 or 7 guys. He ended up beating the other guy out of third. We all thought it was pretty cheap (obviously the guy who did it didn't feel that way!). As far as I know he still got the money (the guy performing the "hail mary"). Anyway, we decided against it in this league from now on.

Of course you can usually tell if a guy's going to do that if he's dropping the farm on one of the last days, picking up guys left and right. In that case it's possible to do it back to even the playing field a bit.

What are you gonna do?? What if someone goes over legitimately??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:59 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
great gretzky wrote:first, its not cheating. say you had 2 innings left? which two would get applied?

Second, it can work, I made out like a bandit last year. But it helps to figure out how much you are trending, and take the best dual eligibility pitchers early (if poosible), then figure out the day that would have the best matchups with the best aviabale pitchers (factoring in your aces). You definitely want to have your "last day" coincide with your studs if possible. plan it out, then blast that last day. it can work well. best if you don't care about whip.

Not sure if you're asking a question or quoted someone else but if you have 2 innings left going into today and you accumulate 35 innings today, you get credit for all 35.

sorry, I wrote that unclear. I know how it works. I was saying what I did for the detractors. Not having the whole day count doesn't make any sense either, as if you only had two innings going in, which two would yahoo apply? Which is why I don't think it is cheating at all, the other way would be stupid too.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby great gretzky » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:01 pm

Chuckles wrote:

deciding AGAINST it is unfair as well, BTW.

This is what Yahoo has to say about it:

"All players active on the day a maximum is reached will receive credit for their stats. "

Seems pretty clear to me actually. Yahoo allows it, and even tells you about it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:54 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
Rirruto wrote:
Jester wrote:The day that you go over your innings pitched limit, it counts all pitcher points for that day. Example: lets say you had 2 innings left, and you have 4 pitchers pitching that night, it counts all points for that night. Therefor you could get over the inning limit counting toward your point total.

Word. Keep it on the DL

Word. I figured that was the case. ssssshhhhh O:-)
so unethical

lol ;-)
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -52)

Postby djack909 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:16 pm

I have been positioning my teams for a posible hail Mary play during the last week. I have to use up my innings, and last week my FA pick-ups, to eat innings have done great. 5W and 4ERs from Conteras, Cain, Lowe, Sabathia, and Sosa. (Crossing my fingers with Baker tonite and Chen and Claussen tommorow) Hail Mary makes no sense it your not short on innings.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)

Postby djack909 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:14 pm

Tuesday was my Hail Mary day. I got 3 W and 37 K for .2 innings.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:28 pm

djack909 wrote:Tuesday was my Hail Mary day. I got 3 W and 37 K for .2 innings.

Nice job. ;-D
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers