Return to Baseball Leftovers

opinions needed! Debate within my league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

opinions needed! Debate within my league

Postby zepfan » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:15 pm

This is the second year of existence for our yahoo baseball pool. None of the rules have changed since last year but there has been a recent trend going on that we never had to deal with before and it's turning into a nice, big debate.

In our league, we don't have a waiver period, so as soon as a player is dropped, he can be picked up immediately and play for your team the next day. What's been happening recently is that more and more managers are picking up FA (free agent) pitchers to get their stats for the next day, then dropping them after their start to pick up the next day's FA starters. And so on and so on every day...

Last week was the first time I found myself doing this because the manager I was playing against was doing it. These are the pitching stats we use in our 10-team keeper league:

IP W CG SHO SV HR K SB GIDP HLD ERA WHIP

This was the argument I put up on the league message board today:

" my only concern...
...is that the more teams start to do this now, the more it will force other teams to do the same thing. And then it becomes more about who can pick up the best of the worst pitchers than who can build a strong team by picking future stars.
If it gets to the point that people have to stay up until 3:00am every night for dibs on the best waiver pitcher so they can have a chance to compete, I think that will make a pretty big change in the way we've been playing the pool up to this point. The question is: Is this a positive change or a negative change?
Myself, I just can't get excited about staying up until 3am to pick up mediocre pitchers every night."

So far, two managers (including me) are very against this strategy and two managers are defending it. We have yet to hear from the other six managers.

Sorry about the long message, but if you've stuck with me up to here, please let know what your opinion is on this strategy and if it might affect your enjoyment of participating in an online pool. Also, there is some money on the line in our pool, so some of the guys take it pretty seriously.

My opinion on this change we've seen.... :-t

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -182)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tjhksig » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:17 pm

I'm not a fan of that strategy. Innings limits are must, or starts limits
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:30 pm

It's not the players that are broken, it's the system that is broken. This is a very common strategy used throughout h2h leagues. Problem is, you can't change the league rules mid-season so you're stuck with people abusing the system for this year at least.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Rapps5 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:49 pm

you need an IP limit
Rapps5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -23)

Postby 4Pack » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:49 pm

Man oh man.....does that sound familiar! I am also in a private league and also in it's 2nd year. Our league went through the same exact scenario last season! I kid you not....their were some weeks where a team would have 180-190 IP! It got truly sickening. And your right....having top pitchers on your team meant not a damn thing. The categories were IP...W...K's....Saves...Whip and ERA! The most I could hope for was getting the Whip/ERA category and pray I got the saves. It got way out of hand and ultimately in the playoffs it cost me a chance at the Championship since I went up against a manager that grabbed pitchers every night and I refused too do so.

This season we implemented a "2 pitcher pickup" rule. A manager is allowed no more than 2 pickups in any given series unless one of his pitchers goes on the DL. That sounded like a decent plan until half the league decided too carry 10 SP and still use the 2 pickups. Soooo...I have Halladay, Colon, Willis, Zito, Schilling, and Schmidt in my pitching lineup and still get beat or tie at best in the pitching categories since I cannot stomach having no batting bench like some of the managers done too enable them too carry 10 SP's!

Yep....next season....WE WILL have an IP limit or a limit on transactions for the season.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cloverhurstdawg » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:56 pm

The league I am in had that problem last season. The solution has been to limit a team to 40 add/drops a season with unlimited trades. Our pitching categories have also been changed to W, S, WHIP, ERA, K/BB. So three of the pitching categories are average stats. Instead of innings limits we have innings minimums each weak to prevent a team with just Smoltz and Gagne from winning 4 of the 5 stats every weak. So far everything has worked out well.
cloverhurstdawg
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:43 pm

People who argue against this forget that, while you may bolster your wins and K's totals, you will completely screw up your ERA and WHIP. It is inconceivable that a pile of mediocre starters could do anything but hurt you in these categories. So, it should work out.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:43 pm

Inning limits, losses, k's per 9 (instead of straight k's), limited waiver pickups, all would help stop the problem.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby USAFDave » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:24 pm

We had a problem with this last year and enforced a transaction limit this year.
USAFDave
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LCBOY » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:34 pm

We had a similar problem last year. However only 3/10 teams did this constant pick and drop and those guys finished 1-2-3 in the league. Even though the league charged $0.25 cent per move it got carried away. This year we have a 40 move limit for the whole season. That fixed the problem...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers