Return to Baseball Leftovers

opinions needed! Debate within my league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Komodo Dragon » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:02 am

The ONLY way to combat that is to set a TRANSACTION LIMIT! I've been doing it for the past 3 seasons and it is great! In a Yahpp league the the highest limit is 40. It must be set and explained in the beginning of the year. Try it next year and the best of luck to getting your GM's to listen to you. It's something you have no control over. :-[
Komodo Dragon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:00 am

Weekly, I see this same topic.
Every week, same ethics question.
We need an ethics forum. Maybe we could use the old Sammy Sosa forum, since he is washed up. It would be easy to find too. Ethics/Sosa. :-D

This weeks awnser, different than before though.

I have never joined a league unless I knew the rules going in.
A league should never change the rules, expect for the offseason.
The easy way to solve this, for next year of course, is to install a IP limit. Transaction limits actually hinder the growth of your league. especially if it is a keeper league. Try getting a quality owner to take over a team if he only has so many moves. How is he going to cleanup the garbage that caused the other owner to quit? It could take 2-3 years. What fun is that?

see ya all next week. :-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:32 pm

Issues like this need to be decided before the draft. I've seen this strat used in the past with success, so I decided to go with it this year. I did not draft a single starting pitcher. If someone tried to change the rules of the game mid-season, in a money league no less, I would be irate.

My advice would be to keep this in mind for next year. Join a league with inning caps or agree before the draft not to do this if you know everyone in your league.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby zepfan » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:37 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I don't expect the commish to change the league rules, but it's looking like most of the managers are OK with this approach. Right now, four of the managers depend heavily on this strategy, three of them are 1-2-3 in the standings. Myself and the other anti-switching manager are now in the middle of the pack after a good start. And the last four managers did not even know this was happening. Coincidentally (not), they are the last four teams in the standings. I can't believe some people actually prefer to play this way.

So I guess we're going to have to deal with this crap for the rest of the year anyway. I'm still undecided as to whether I'm going to play this type of game that I hate or what.

I don't know if this is a fair comparison, but this strategy reminds me of the neutral-zone trap in the NHL. It rewards players for performing repetetive, mindless BORING tasks and takes away from the creative, smart players who actually have a clue. It also makes enough difference in the stats/standings that it forces other teams to do the same thing. I also preferred NHL hockey before the trap was introduced.

Anyway, just venting at this point. If I'd known this was going to happen at the beginning of the year, I don't think I would have joined.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Hopefully I can make them see the light and make some changes for next year, at least.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -182)

Postby Dennis Moore » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:49 pm

Just make fun of them a lot.
Dennis Moore

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:47 pm

zepfan wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I don't expect the commish to change the league rules, but it's looking like most of the managers are OK with this approach. Right now, four of the managers depend heavily on this strategy, three of them are 1-2-3 in the standings. Myself and the other anti-switching manager are now in the middle of the pack after a good start. And the last four managers did not even know this was happening. Coincidentally (not), they are the last four teams in the standings. I can't believe some people actually prefer to play this way.

I would also look for different owners for this keeper league.
It sounds like 40% of the league has already quit and it's only June.
what fun is that?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:13 am

I've always been a proponent of inning and games played limits. It makes for more strategy and it's fairer for those who can't spend four hours a day working on their team.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers