Return to Baseball Leftovers

REDSOX TRADE UPDATES NEEDED

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

REDSOX TRADE UPDATES NEEDED

Postby Rapps5 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:49 pm

Has anyone heard any good Red Sox trade rumors? I've heard things like Benitez, but I have no idea. Who are they looking to deal for and who would they be giving up?
Rapps5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pilambp » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:35 am

I've also heard a strong possibility of signing Chuck Finley. This would allow them to move Kim out of the Rotation and into the bullpen.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -46)

Postby WinLoseOrBrawl » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:42 am

I heard that they might deal Shea Hillenbrand for Byung Hun Kim. I'm predicting that the deal won't end up happening though.
WinLoseOrBrawl
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:11 pm

Who knows what will happen. Sure, the team is definitely involved in many of the trade rumors, but unlike past years, this year I don't think they would be willing to part with some of their prospects, including Freddie Sanchez.

I don't think a deal will be done until the deadline draws closer. Who knows, depending on where the Sox stand, they might be the ones doing the selling and not the buying, but that scenario is unlikely. I still think they would be in the thick of the AL EAST title hunt.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Siege1386 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:05 pm

I have heard the two possibilities above.

Benitez: They wan't him for closing duties, but the Yanks have shown interest either as a set up man for Mariano, or just plainly to drive up the price for the Bo Soxs.

Finley: If they can't get Benitez, they would go for Chuck and move Kim to the bullpen.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -1)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:48 pm

The better idea is to get Benitez and Finley. That way you can keep Kim in the rotation, release Burkett and send Fossum to the bullpen.

Friendliness: %

Postby pilambp » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:08 pm

The Sox should send Burkett to the Tigers for a bag of baseballs....

The rotation Could be:

Pedro
Lowe
Finley
Wakefield
Fossum

And have Kim in the Bullpen....
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -46)

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:09 pm

i don't think Burkett is all that bad. He is a very serviceable FIFTH starter. You can't expect ace stats from the last man in the rotation, and look at his last few outings, they have been pretty good.

I don't think that Chuck Finley is the answer, it wouldn't hurt to bring him in and just see how he responds, but like I said, I don't think he is the guy the Red Sox need.

If anyone in the rotation that needs to be replaced, it is Casey Fossum. For a young guy, he has been doing very poorly even before the injury issues arose, and that has to have shattered his confidence. I think they should put Fossum in the bullpen and keep Kim has a starter.

Oh, and I have heard RUMORS that the Sox have talked about acquiring Roberto Alomar.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jivedude » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:14 pm

Yeah I heard that too but why would they want a washed up Alomar when they have Todd Walker?
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:19 pm

Jivedude wrote:Yeah I heard that too but why would they want a washed up Alomar when they have Todd Walker?

yes, I don't quite understand the reasoning behind it either. Walker is better than Alomar, and we would have to take on Alomar's contract. We'll need all the money we can get to pay Pedro and Nomar with their contracts soon to expire. Unfortunately, I feel one of those two will go.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers