Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Silva: 9 BB in 188.1 IP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:29 pm

Wow, I had no idea. Incredible stat. :-°
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:30 pm

Does anyone think that the low amount of BB could actually be hurting him? Pitching is basically outsmarting the hitter and if the hitter knows a strike is coming he should be able to hit better.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:43 pm

Wow...I didn't realize Magraine walked that many. That's really sad considering how badly he got shelled. !+)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby MikeeDee » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:46 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Does anyone think that the low amount of BB could actually be hurting him? Pitching is basically outsmarting the hitter and if the hitter knows a strike is coming he should be able to hit better.

As long as he keeps the ball down it shouldn't matter that much. But he gave up 25 homers for a groundout to fly ratio of 1.69 The ratio is actually kind of middle of the road. His BABIP (batting avg for balls in play) is .295 which is above league avg. but not by much. The batting avg against is .290.

Looks like he managed to find a way to make himself useful for the Twins but not very useful for fantasy purposes. Not that many Ks, decent whip, a few wins, and a decent era. Useful in deeper leagues, but in 10-12 team MLB leagues not very useful.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -9)

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:19 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
blankman wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:anyone know what his OBPA is? Heck, do they even have that stat? If so, isn't it quite a bit more relevant that BAA?

Wouldn't that tell you the very same thing WHIP does just in a different formula?
Pretty much except HBP would be included.

well, it would also take defense in to account, and when you're allowing as many balls in play as silva does, this would be pretty much vital to him.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby BOOF » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:58 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Not really fantasy worthy except perhaps in shallow or AL only leagues. I guess that he just lays it up there for guys to hit and he relies on his defence to get the outs.

It's all part of a plan for him to expand his strikezone with umps next year, then start throwing balls and tricking the hitters come playoff time with a perfect Johan, primed Liriano, healthy Mauer and solid Morneau. Twins win! B-)
http://boof.com
BOOF Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Red Stripe » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:28 pm

I knew Silva had a low BB/9 ratio but had no clue it was that low, wow thats insane.

He's not worth much in fantasy terms since his WHIP and ERA are just mediocre(actually the ERA ain't bad). But he sucks at getting K's. Although he'd be worth something probably in leagues that count BB's for pitchers and stuff such as K/BB and BB/9.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:44 pm

BOOF wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Just cause you don't walk people doesn't make you outstanding. Its a cool stat but he gets hit to much for it to mean anything

I think it means he's pretty good, along with the 3.44 ERA and 1.17 WHIP. Also it means he has impeccable control, just not the greatest stuff.

His perfomances vs. Baltimore, NYY and Boston were pretty impressive for a pitcher of his stature.

Well, Josh Towers doesn't walk many, but that doesn't necessarily make him good, though he is having a decent season.

Silva's BB/9 is truly insane though...
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby blankman » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:16 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
blankman wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:anyone know what his OBPA is? Heck, do they even have that stat? If so, isn't it quite a bit more relevant that BAA?

Wouldn't that tell you the very same thing WHIP does just in a different formula?
Pretty much except HBP would be included.

well, it would also take defense in to account, and when you're allowing as many balls in play as silva does, this would be pretty much vital to him.

No it wouldn't. Not any more than WHIP does.

Think about it.

OBPA would be (H+BB+HBP)/PA
WHIP is (H+BB)/IP

Its the same thing only with HBP added in. You aren't accounting for defense any more in either stat.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Half Massed » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:40 pm

That's pretty crazy... He's definitely helping me in my K/BB league. I've never seen him pitch, but just because he doesn't walk basically anyone doesn't mean he doesn't throw balls. A hitter can only really expect a strike when he has three balls.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers