Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran owners rejoice?!?!?!?!?! Pinstripes or BUST?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beltran owners rejoice?!?!?!?!?! Pinstripes or BUST?

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:27 am

Beltran is being sat down for a one-on-one meeting concerning a deal with the Yankees. If the Yankees want him, can anybody else even compete in trade negotiations? If I were a Beltran owner, I'd be very excited about his chances about now.

if you don't own him, I'd check his owners commitment to him.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:28 am

That's certainly interesting news. Where did you read the article?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:30 am

Same old source http://www.rotoworld.com

Carlos Beltran - OF - Kansas City Royals Jun 18

Yankees GM Brian Cashman and Royals GM Allard Baird held a face-to-face meeting yesterday, and among the topics discussed was a New York interest in Carlos Beltran.
The Yankees also like reliever Jason Grimsley, a former Yankee. No deal is imminent, and there are logistical problems, such as which good players New York would have to give up, and how to fit Beltran into the lineup when Bernie Williams and Nick Johnson return from the DL

Royals' Beltran interests Yanks

By PETER BOTTE and ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

The need for the Yankees to make a trade is less pressing after six victories in their last eight games, but that doesn't mean they've stopped talking.
General manager Brian Cashman had a face-to-face meeting with Royals GM Allard Baird during yesterday's doubleheader. The players the Yankees might want from the Royals are outfielder Carlos Beltran or reliever and former Yankee Jason Grimsley, however organizational sources said last night the Yankees aren't sure getting either makes sense.

Beltran is batting .309 with 11 home runs and 40 RBI. His salary this season is $6 million. Grimsley is 2-3 with a 3.92 ERA. His salary this season is $2 million.

According to the source, there are problems with each scenario. A Grimsley deal would strengthen the bullpen, but would not fill its strong need for a lefthander who can get lefthanded batters out. Also, Grimsley wore pinstripes under manager Joe Torre and was not among his chosen group to trust games with.

To get Beltran, the Yankees might have to part with more valuable players. They also would be faced with a problem when Bernie Williams and Nick Johnson return from the disabled list. They would have four quality outfielders and a DH/1B for five spots.

According to the source, no deal is imminent

...uh, actually I read it a little wrong, as Beltran did not have the face to face meeting.
Last edited by DGroundhog on Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby pilambp » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:30 am

And where exactly would he play? With Bernie - GroundZilla - Matsui prowling the OF, there's not much room for him there.

I know the Royals are looking for a solid young player in exchange for Beltran. Nick Johnson maybe?
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -46)

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:48 am

i woudl have to think that matsui would sit, have to sit. and outfield of bernie beltran and mondesi is looking pretty sweet for them.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:22 pm

I saw that, coming from a Royals fan that sucks. Here they are starting to play decent again, only two games back and then the talks start? Well if it does happen, hopefully Royals managment doesn't F it up somehow and get good value in return for him.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Siege1386 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:00 pm

Don't get too excited yet. From Baseball Tonight, the Yanks also have interest in Klesko. They also said that Nick Johnson's wrist injury may be a little more serious than suspected. IF that is true, Beltran could rotate in the OF and even play a little DH.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -1)

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:28 pm

When's Mondesi's contract up? This lineup would be scary.

Beltran
Jeter
Soriano (b/c he has more power)
Giambi
B. Williams
Posada
Matsui/Mondesi
Ventura
Matsui/Mondesi/Johnson

Does anybody find it possible to see Erick Almonte, Juan Rivera, or even Drew Henson in Royal blue? I mean, the Yanks might finally know that Henson won't be as good as expected.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby pilambp » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:07 pm

Erick Almonte?
Juan Rivera?
Drew Henson?

These guys are terrible. You'd never know Almonte if Jeter didn't get hurt, he's a struggling 25 year old in AAA. Rivera isn't a top prospect either, someone who looks to be a third OF on a contending team. And Henson? Please. The Yankees should admit they really screwed up on that one. The Royals want a lot more than that, considering they were asking for Blalock at the beginning of the year.

One Yankee they might be interested in in Brandon Claussen, who is looking sharp since his return from Tommy John Surgery, but KC is full of pitching prospects, and need a position player.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -46)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:33 pm

Siege1386 wrote:Don't get too excited yet. From Baseball Tonight, the Yanks also have interest in Klesko. They also said that Nick Johnson's wrist injury may be a little more serious than suspected. IF that is true, Beltran could rotate in the OF and even play a little DH.

In todays San Diego Union ... Klesko said he would waive his no trade clause. He only has a few years left, and is "Tired of getting my butt kicked" to quote Klesko. He doesn't want to move from 1B.

Sitting here thinking about it, the Yankees and Padres seem to do some sort of trade every year. They have a quality trade history. Heck they already did one this year for Rondell/Bubba.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers