Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mulder's pitch counts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mulder's pitch counts?

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:28 pm

If you look at his PCs over this year, they've been very high, most at around 105-110 pitches a game. Last year, he was hurt for some of the first half and pitched way less than this in the games he did pitch. So, he ended up having a superb 2nd half. Is he gonna be a 2nd half stud again this year, or will the high PCs and CGs gonna start catching up to him?
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:53 pm

Although Mulder has thrown like 5 complete games, his pitch counts have been kept well under control. He has thrown no more than 113 pitches in a game and that was the only time he has gone over 110 pitches. In 6 of his 15 starts, he has had pitch counts under 100. I don't see why there's any reason to worry about him; generally 110 pitches is the maximum level that you want to see as an average pitch count, and Mulder is nowhere close to that.

Mulder, and basically the entire A's staff is kept on strict pitch counts, and I don't think any of their pitchers have gone to 120 pitches once this year. Compare his pitch counts to those of Wood, Prior, Morris, Vazquez, and you will see that it's nothing to worry about.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:46 pm

jdh makes some very good points. I wouldn't worry about Mulder's arm either. I will admit that every pitcher is a little different and it is possible for Mulder to have some arm problems down the line, but I don't consider him a high risk.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Super GM » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:56 pm

As jdh and Madison allready said, I wouldn't worry too much about Mulder's arm/pc. If you were worried about the workload of the Chicago Cubs staff, then I'd say you have every right to be worried. But not with Mulder. The A's know exactly when to pull him. So just sit back, relax and have a beer, while you watch Mulder rack up those wins and K's! ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby flloyd » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:06 am

As an example of the A's belief in a strict pitch count Rich Harden, their star prospesct, retired 39 consecutive batters in AA this year. He was taken out of two perfect games during this time so as to not go over his pitch count. That is pretty serious protection for their pitchers invaluable arms. I think Mulder will be fine.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Postby warrick95 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:41 am

Thanks guys. I'm just freaked out after I drafted Burnett to be my #2 pitcher. Y'all know what happened there. Beckett's my #3 and is hurting. Glad to hear that the A's don't overuse SPs like Torborg.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Return to Baseball Leftovers