Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 10 SP's in 2006?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SilentReader » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:24 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:there really is about 25 pitchers or so that can be made a claim for in the top 10

That's a good point. You guys can extend the lists out to 20 or 25, or however much you want. I was just saying top 10 as a starting point.

A few of you have commented on clemens, and whther you would rank him b/c you don't know if he'll be back, etc. My opinion is, I rank him assuming he will be back, and if he does retire, then I just take him off my list. Afterall, it's not like the drafts are happening anytime soon.

If Atrophying Testicles was talking about me when he said someone had Kazmir in their top 10, he's very mistaken.

After looking at others lists and doing some of my own thinking, here's my top 22:

1. Santana
2. Peavy
3. RJ
4. Oswalt
5. Halladay
6. Clemens
7. Carpenter
8. Pedro
9. Zambrano
10. Willis
11. Colon
12. Prior
13. Sheets
14. Schmidt
15. Smoltz
16. Harden
17. Felix
18. Hudson
19. Buehrle
20. Sabathia
21. Mulder
22. Pettitte
i don't post much,but i'm always lurking...

best fantasy games site = SandboxPlus.com!!
SilentReader
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:07 pm

1. Santana
2. Prior...yes, I think he'll stay healthy
3. Pedro
4. Sheets
5. Peavy
6. R. Johnson...call me crazy but I really think his back caused many of his problems.
7. Harden
8. Oswalt
9. Halladay
10. Beckett

This asks for who I think will be the top-10, not where they should be drafted. Note that. I'm scared of Dontrelle and Carpenter next year. Didn't even bother putting them on. Not only are they injury risks, those types of years are hard to repeat for anybody.

If Clemens returns again, stick him after Peavy.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby Yoda » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:15 pm

warrick95 wrote:1. Santana
2. Prior...yes, I think he'll stay healthy
3. Pedro
4. Sheets
5. Peavy
6. R. Johnson...call me crazy but I really think his back caused many of his problems.
7. Harden
8. Oswalt
9. Halladay
10. Beckett

This asks for who I think will be the top-10, not where they should be drafted. Note that. I'm scared of Dontrelle and Carpenter next year. Didn't even bother putting them on. Not only are they injury risks, those types of years are hard to repeat for anybody.

If Clemens returns again, stick him after Peavy.

Pretty solid list and I agree with most on the list. I'm a little worried about Harden's problems and hesitent to put him on top 10. I'd replace him with Zambrano at this point. I'd also move Peavy down to 6th or 7th due to the injury risk.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Re: Top 10 SP's in 2006?

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:20 pm

1.Santana
2. Peavy
3. Pedro
4. Oswalt
5. Halladay
6. Clemens
7. Zambrano
8. Prior
9. Harden
10. Willis
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:55 pm

Pitching next season is a mess. It was a mess this year fantasy-wise (just ask Schmidt, Hudson, Ol. Perez, Wood, etc. owners). Outside of Santana as the top rated SP, I doubt you will find any concensus top 20 or so. All have issues.

1. Santana
2. Oswalt
3. Halladay (injury bug/unlucky?)
4. C. Zambrano (been a stud, but you have to wonder about the workload)
5. Peavy (team hardly will get him a lot of cheap Ws)
6. Sheets (health/Brewers blow).
7. Clemens (not getting any younger...Astros do not score)
8. Carpenter (Is he the next Schmidt/health?)
9. Pedro (not getting any younger...Mets can't hit...breaking down?)
10. Willis...do you really believe?...not really.
11. Beckett (Blister boy is really an annoying and frustrating pitcher to own).
12. Harden (injuries)
13. Buerhle (reliable if not spectacular)
14. Colon (fat boy has never been the picture of consistency).
15. RJ (not getting any younger...lots of gopher balls this year)
16. Schmidt (injury concerns are a big ?)
17. Smoltz (not getting any younger)
18. Pettitte (hard to believe he is getting better in Enron, but then again who knows...)
19. Burnett (where does he end up?)

Prior I would not get anywhere near as he is looking more and more like Kerry Wood every season.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:04 pm

1. Santana(Deserves to be put at number 1)
2. Oswalt
3. Peavy
4. Sheets(I just don't want to get screwed on drafting Sheets as one of my only high round pitchers again, I'm sure he could be the number 1 or 2 guy)
5. Pedro
6. Halladay
7. Clemens(if he returns)
8. Prior(the only reason I'm putting him down here is because of his injuries and he hasn't done anything yet besides the 03 season, he has the stuff and potential to get up to number 2.)
9. Harden
10. Pettite(I think he'll still be pretty underrated in drafts, he probably won't go until 6th-7th round, he could be one of the best value picks)
11. Zambrano
12. Big Unit
13. Beckett
14. Burnett(Call me crazy but if he gets on a team with a good bullpen he should be great, the only thing I worry about with him is his control as the season gets older)
15. Carpenter(Don't think he'll be as good next year, he isn't necessarily young and this was kind of a season out of nowhere)
16. Hudson(I'm not the biggest fan of him because he seems to go high for not being a power pitcher but I think he should have a bounce back season)
17. Colon(He'll get you a lot of wins though)
18. Smoltz
19. Felix(He'll be a good pitcher next year but still don't think he'll be ready to break top 10)
20. Buerhle

Watch out for: Kazmir, Bonderman, Haren, Escobar, CC, Eaton(I stil got high hopes on him)

And yes I don't have either Schmidt or Willis on it. Schmidt just seems to be too injury prone now to put him up on that list and even when he was healthy this year he has sucked, I'm saying fluke, he never showed any hint at being as great as his 04 numbers suggested before that. And yes I'm saying it now, Willis was a one year wonder, the big leg kick is what seems to get hitters, his stuff is good but not top 10 stuff good. Those guys with the tricky funky wind ups eventually get figured out by the hitters. A LOT of people won't agree with me but I'm calling out Willis right now as one of 2006's biggest busts.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:10 pm

Red Stripe wrote:15. Carpenter(Don't think he'll be as good next year, he isn't necessarily young and this was kind of a season out of nowhere)

Carpenter's just resuming where he left off from the second half of 04'. You have to show him love man.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:18 pm

I think saying anyone in the top 25 can be a top 10 says a ton. If all these guys are about the same basic value, time to draft hitting until about the 7th round...
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby superfly » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:33 pm

I agree, outside of Santana, it's really a guessing game as to who will be top 10 although I think Peavy is a lock playing in that weak division. Mad love for Johan though, guy carried me through the playoffs to the championship 2 years in a row. Ridiculous numbers in the fantasy playoffs.
superfly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:04 pm

I still say Halladay will be #2-#3 on my draft board, there is nothing wrong with him.

Pettitte should fall somewhere outside of the top 10, but he did have the 5th or 6th best season fantasy-wise as a starter this year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers