Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blaylock, A. Gonz. Teixera in the second half

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blaylock, A. Gonz. Teixera in the second half

Postby Jockpunk » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:08 pm

What kind of second halves do you think these guys will have? I have blaylock and A. Gonz. but am starting to feel as if the nice ride is coming to an end. Thinking about dealing them and picking up teixera who is on waivers.

Also, who do you think is the best 3b in baseball?
Jockpunk
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jivedude » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:17 pm

Right now I'd say Mike Lowell.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rufus » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:18 pm

It seems like somebody has written about A. Gonz's impending demise just about every week since the beginning of the season.

However good of a year he does turn out to have, he should win some kind of award for stubbornly bucking the conventional wisdom.
rufus
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:22 pm

Well, when you see their batting averages drop, it isn't necessarily such a bad thing. After all, you can't expect them to be PHENOMENAL all year, but they can still be VERY GOOD. Take Blalock for instance, even going 1 for 3 brings his average down.

The thing that does scare me about Blalock though was how bad he was the year before. He was so bad they sent him back down to the minors. Maybe pitchers will once again figure out how to get these guys out.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LCBOY » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:40 pm

brdmaverick wrote:Well, when you see their batting averages drop, it isn't necessarily such a bad thing. After all, you can't expect them to be PHENOMENAL all year, but they can still be VERY GOOD. Take Blalock for instance, even going 1 for 3 brings his average down.

The thing that does scare me about Blalock though was how bad he was the year before. He was so bad they sent him back down to the minors. Maybe pitchers will once again figure out how to get these guys out.

Blalock struggled last year because he had an elbow injury. Check out the rookie seasons for Glaus and A-Rod. They were justy as "bad" as Blalock was last year. Blalock is a great hitter! He will continue to hit. I think he is a young George Brett...I expect Blalock to hit around .315-.320, 25-30 HRs, and over 100 RBI.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)

Re: Blalock

Postby Peter Gammons » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:41 am

Blalock was also only 21 last year -- give the guy a break.

He'll be an annual all-star and the best fantasy 3rd baseman in 3-4 years.
Peter Gammons

Friendliness: %

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:12 am

Haha. Good to see you here again Peter Gammons.
I don't expect to see Blalock's play drop off against righties. If he starts to play everyday against left handed pitching, then you may see a small influence in his average (but not much).
Teixeira will likely continue to have good and bad stretches with a small chance of rather strong second half.
Alex Gonzalez is a real tough call. He may have found his offensive game by not swinging for a homerun with every at-bat.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Return to Baseball Leftovers