Return to Baseball Leftovers

Haren vs Mulder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:34 am

Haren was more valuable in fantasy baseball, in real life they were about as equal as it gets.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:06 am

Haren was more valuable this year, real life or fantasy-wise, and was at least Mulder's equal, if not his better. Haren was much more consistent than Mulder as well. For example:
Haren:
G GS W L CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
Home 17 17 6 6 3 0 110.0 107 48 46 15 23 80 3.76 1.18 .252
Away 17 17 8 6 0 0 107.0 105 53 44 11 30 83 3.70 1.26 .259

Mulder:
Home 15 15 7 3 3 2 104.1 103 34 30 6 33 64 2.59 1.30 .263
Away 17 17 9 5 0 0 100.2 109 56 53 13 37 47 4.74 1.45 .283

Haren was pretty much identical on the road and at home, while Mulder was good at home, but fell off on the road. Consistancy, in fantasy and real life, is important in a pitcher, and Haren has Mulder beat hands down here.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:37 pm

It depends on how you interpret "better." Strictly speaking, I would give a slight edge to Haren as being the statistically better pitcher. From a value standpoint, though, Haren blows Mulder away.
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:42 pm

Tavish wrote:Haren was more valuable in fantasy baseball, in real life they were about as equal as it gets.

How can their value be equal in real life when Mulder makes $5.5M more in salary? :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:43 pm

Yoda wrote:
Tavish wrote:Haren was more valuable in fantasy baseball, in real life they were about as equal as it gets.

How can their value be equal in real life when Mulder makes $5.5M more in salary? :-D

Because I could honestly care less about how much they make until I'm hired as the GM. ;-D
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:46 pm

Tavish wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Because I could honestly care less about how much they make until I'm hired as the GM. ;-D

But when determining 'real life' value, you'd have to consider salary. Either way, even if their salary was equal, I'd still rather have Haren at this point due to his age. Do you care about that as well?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:49 pm

Not that I'm reversing what I said before, but you might recall that I stated earlier this year that what the Cardinals were paying for with Mulder was the presence in the clubhouse and on the mound.

Today's game is a perfect example of why the Cards would rather have Mulder pitching than Haren.

With two on and one out in the 2nd inning, Mulder takes a hard line drive off his pitching bicep. He stays in to pitch, but proceeds to hit the next guy he faces to load the bases. Oh, and just to make it more interesting, Mulder also goes 0-2 on the #8 batter.

Now at this point, a youngster like Haren might have imploded, and we might be on our way to a 1-1 series tie. Instead, Mulder strikes out the #8 hitter on three straight pitches then gets the pitcher to ground back to him to end the inning.

That's why the Cards have Mulder - veteran grit.
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers