Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daisuke Matsuzaka

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby carter » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:25 pm

wrveres wrote:interesting pitch ..

But what stood out to me, is the fact that he only has two pitches. If he does make it to the MLB, he may be best served by pitching out of the pen, or at least learning a change up.

as far as i know, he uses 4 or more pitches .. fastball, gyro/slider, changeup, forkball, curve.. but he uses the fastball most often... he has great movement on it, and can change speeds, known to throw anywhere between 87 and 100mph (but i think he's lost some velocity in recent years and tops out at 97 now)

he can defenitly handle the majors as a starter.. last year MLB sent a group of all-stars (including Crawford, Blalock, Miggy Cabrera, Manny, Ortiz, Michael Young, Victor Martinez, ect) to Japan for an all-star exhibition series... he pitched a complete game, 0 walks, 5 hits, 6 k's, 1 er, and retired all batters through the first 5 innings

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1926706

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/ ... t=.jsp#box

"Without question he could pitch in the major leagues," U.S. manager Bruce Bochy said after the game. "He has four major league pitches, and has a good idea of what he's doing on the mound. It's hard to compare him to anybody because of his unique delivery."

05 stats
Matsuzaka 2005

W-L ... INN .. PC . H . HR . K . BB. ER. ERA
________________________________________________________________________________________
14-13 215.0 3434 172 13 226 63 55 2.30

- but he had 5 to 6 days off between games .. teams use 6-man rotations
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:27 pm

carter wrote:
wrveres wrote:interesting pitch ..

But what stood out to me, is the fact that he only has two pitches. If he does make it to the MLB, he may be best served by pitching out of the pen, or at least learning a change up.

as far as i know, he uses 4 or more pitches .. fastball, gyro/slider, changeup, forkball, curve.. but he uses the fastball most often... he has great movement on it, and can change speeds, known to throw anywhere between 87 and 100mph (but i think he's lost some velocity in recent years and tops out at 97 now)

he can defenitly handle the majors as a starter.. last year MLB sent a group of all-stars (including Crawford, Blalock, Miggy Cabrera, Manny, Ortiz, Michael Young, Victor Martinez, ect) to Japan for an all-star exhibition series... he pitched a complete game, 0 walks, 5 hits, 6 k's, 1 er, and retired all batters through the first 5 innings

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1926706

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/ ... t=.jsp#box

"Without question he could pitch in the major leagues," U.S. manager Bruce Bochy said after the game. "He has four major league pitches, and has a good idea of what he's doing on the mound. It's hard to compare him to anybody because of his unique delivery."

05 stats
Matsuzaka 2005

W-L ... INN .. PC . H . HR . K . BB. ER. ERA
________________________________________________________________________________________
14-13 215.0 3434 172 13 226 63 55 2.30

- but he had 5 to 6 days off between games .. teams use 6-man rotations

thanks ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby wrveres » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:44 am

Rotoworld wrote:The Seibu Lions have rejected the request of right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka to be made available to the major leagues through the posting system during the offseason.
The 25-year-old Matsuzaka has been one of Japan's top pitchers for years and likely would get a contract far surpassing Jose Contreras' if made available this winter. He's not free to make his own way to the U.S. until after the 2008 season. In order to arrive before then, Seibu would have to agree to post him. It seems it won't happen this year. Oct. 28 - 3:11 am et
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby JTWood » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:45 am

wrveres wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:The Seibu Lions have rejected the request of right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka to be made available to the major leagues through the posting system during the offseason.
The 25-year-old Matsuzaka has been one of Japan's top pitchers for years and likely would get a contract far surpassing Jose Contreras' if made available this winter. He's not free to make his own way to the U.S. until after the 2008 season. In order to arrive before then, Seibu would have to agree to post him. It seems it won't happen this year. Oct. 28 - 3:11 am et

:-t for us.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:42 pm

Gazoomtite.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby brandnew » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:18 pm

wrveres wrote:

Lame.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Half Massed » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:55 pm

wrveres wrote:

That sucks for us and for him, but it's not very surprising. He's probably a big draw for his team, along with obviously being a main player for them, so I'm not shocked to see them refuse to let him go.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)

Postby giants8307 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:44 pm

BritSox wrote:
Japan Times wrote:It's obvious his season records are not convincing enough. He is an important player, and we need him for the next season," Seibu manager Tsutomu Ito said.

Is it just me or is this a bit of a contradiction? "We won't let him go because he's a really important player, and because he didn't pitch that well this year."

I'm not sure the Sox have the money to post for him unless they offload at least one of Manny and Damon and replace 'em cheaply, though I think I'd rather post for Matsuzaka than sign Burnett. He's talked about wanting to go to the Yanks, but he does strike me as the kind of signing the O's might make.

Yeah, they're definitely BSing. Using his record as a scapegoat in order to not let him walk. A 2.30 ERA and a barely over-.500 record? I think the Lions need some O-fence.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Phatferd » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:22 am

Music2004Man wrote:Some of that info about him in the article is just crazy though. 247 pitches in HS! He's already had arm trouble so buyer beware. I would like to see his breaking pitch though.

My buddy threw a CG in a HS summer league game where he threw 215 pitches over 16 innings. Let's just say at the end of the day my friend went after the coach in the dugout...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:36 am

really interesting. if he's really got great command of this gyroball and throws 98 i can't wait to see him. he could be the japanese pedro. we all know pedro throws 2 pitches (fastball and change).
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers