Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade for Steals or forfeit the category?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade for Steals or forfeit the category?

Postby brdmaverick » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:31 am

My team lacks guys that run, my top base stealer is Jerry Hairston Jr. and he has been on the DL for some time now, and then comes Johnny Damon, who has stole one base in the last month and a half.

I am in a 12 team H2H yahoo league. I have been pretty lucky thus far, only losing the steals category twice, but I feel that my good fortune is coming to an end. I have a big enough lead (96-32-4) where I am pretty sure I can forfeit saves every week and still make the playoffs, but I just don't want it to haunt me in the playoffs.

Here is my team.........

C Ramon Hernandez
1B Carlos Delgado
2B Frank Catalanatto
3B Aramis Ramirez
SS Alex Rodriguez
OF Manny Ramirez
OF Sammy Sosa
OF Jim Edmonds
UT Johnny Damon
UT Torii Hunter

Bench:
David Ortiz
Pat Burrell
Jerry Hairston Jr (DL)

what do you think, should I try to trade for steals, or is this team good enough to continue to win R, HR, RBI, AVG, OBP?
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:09 am

i think it is safe to just forget about steals in a head to head league. i did that in my league and it hasnt hurt me at all but then again i have a few more categories (ten hitting categories) so my league is a little bit more biased towards power. besides, if you trade for a steals guy that is just one dimensional (crawford, roberts) you may end up hurting your other categories.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wind Dancer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:39 am

B-) Most of the teams in our league don't even worry about steals. In fact the league members are going to eliminate it from our stats next year...just like we eliminated shutouts for pitchers this year. Replace these with stats like on base percentage/holds/slugging percentage/etc.... good luck this year....
B-)
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...
Anytime you have a 50-50 pick between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong!
Wind Dancer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers