Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens and the Hall of Fame

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Clemens and the Hall of Fame

Postby Dr.DooM » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:06 pm

Here's an excerpt from Verducci's Mailbag. It's about Clemens wish to go into the Hall as a Yankee. I've originally felt that he should go in without a cap but Verducci does bring up some interesting points why he should go in as a Yankee.

Roger Clemens has stated that if he's not wearing a Yankees hat at his Hall of Fame induction, he might boycott the ceremony. Why does he have to be that way? I am a Red Sox fan and rooted for him even after he left for Toronto. However, I couldn't continue to be a fan when he turned to the money machine known as the Yankees. I, and probably 99 percent of the Red Sox faithful, disagreed with then GM Dan Duquette's decision to let Roger go. Now Clemens seems to be holding us responsible for the shortsightedness of a business man who had no reason to be in the position of making baseball decisions. Whether or not it's right, I have now taken the stance of detesting Roger Clemens. What is your take on his statement and should writers show him the same consideration and not vote for him on the first ballot?
--Mike Sola, Champaign, Ill.

Clemens has spent as much time with the Yankees as Hall of Fame Yankee (not Athletic) Reggie Jackson did. The Red Sox didn't want the Rocket. The Red Sox don't want to retire his number. Fans kill Clemens when he goes back to Fenway. The Yankees will want him back as a guest instructor every spring training. Clemens has adopted New York as his baseball home. OK, now tell me what you would do: choose Boston only because of the statistical imbalance or choose New York? Give me a break. I love all these people telling a Hall of Famer what he should feel in his heart about a decision for perpetuity. Feel free to disagree, but I think you have to respect the player's decision, short of Wade Boggs representing the Devil Rays and Mike Piazza the Marlins.

Personally, I think the bitter circumstances of Clemen's departure and the fact that Boston fans hate him are good reasons for him not to go in as a Red Sock. Although the stats would point to his Boston years, it wouldn't really honor Clemens as a player. Seriously, I'm not trying to bash Red Sox fans but why would they want him wearing a Red Sox cap anyways? Maybe just out of spite? That's the only reason I can think of.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pilambp » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:32 pm

Red Sox fans want Clemens wearing a Red Sox hat because he spent 12 years as a pitcher for them. He made his name as one of the most feared pitchers in Major League Baseball because he played on the Red Sox.

This issue is also going to show where the Hall of Fame stands on the rules. Will it let Clemens "bully" them into changing their rules, or will it stick to tradition? What's next, Rickey Henderson going into the HOF as a Red Sox player?
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -46)

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:59 pm

"He made his name as one of the most feared pitchers in Major League Baseball because he played on the Red Sox."

He made his name as one of the most feared pitchers in Major League Baseball because he was Roger Clemens.

This issue is also going to show where the Hall of Fame stands on the rules. Will it let Clemens "bully" them into changing their rules, or will it stick to tradition? What's next, Rickey Henderson going into the HOF as a Red Sox player?

With the dawn of Free Agency as it is and most Hall of Famers for the future definately being multi team players over their career, I don't see why the hall has a stupid rule about representing one specific team. Being a hall of famer has nothing to do with any franchise in peticular, it has to do with individual accomplishments of a player over his career regardless of who he played for.

What's gonna happen when guys like Giambi, Palmiero, Manny Ramirez, or Jim Thome make a run for the Hall? Are we gonna squabble about what team they should represent? What does it matter?

Roger Clemens is right. He's making a stand on a premise that holds true. He should be able to choose what hat he wears because it will be him that is being honored, not a team. A player that puts up Hall of Fame numbers deserves that choice.

The bottom line is that Roger Clemens should wear a hat that sais "Roger Clemens" on it.

Remember, it's not the Hall of Fame that makes players great, it's the players that make the Hall of Fame great. The Hall should step off and recognize why people pay to walk through the door.

I'm a hardcore Red Sox fan. When Roger goes in the hall I don't care what hat he wears because it's not about the Red Sox, Yankees, or Blue Jays......it's about Roger Clemens. Go Rocket!
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:10 pm

Remember also the precedent that was set this year with Gary Carter. He had said he wanted to go in as a Met, because his championship years there meant the most to him. However, the HOF overruled him and he is going to be wearing an Expos cap.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pilambp » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:14 pm

jdh wrote:Remember also the precedent that was set this year with Gary Carter. He had said he wanted to go in as a Met, because his championship years there meant the most to him. However, the HOF overruled him and he is going to be wearing an Expos cap.

Exactly my point. If they don't bend for Gary Carter, then they shouldn't bend for Roger Clemens because of his "threat". He should go in with a blank cap on.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -46)

Postby tjhksig » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:35 pm

I think they should make that jerk-off wear a Blue Jays cap....
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:45 pm

Remember also the precedent that was set this year with Gary Carter. He had said he wanted to go in as a Met, because his championship years there meant the most to him. However, the HOF overruled him and he is going to be wearing an Expos cap.

This was a gross and blatant move by Major League Baseball to use Gary Carter as a pawn in their scheme to make Montreal residents feel more important and in turn buy tickets to expos games. They were way out of line here.

The precedent that was set was that "The Hall of Fame needs to be put in their place". Roger is doing just that.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:49 pm

bump
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers