Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's Mark Bellhorn's value now that he's in colorado?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's Mark Bellhorn's value now that he's in colorado?

Postby icepak » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:26 am

Colorado traded Jose Hernandez to cubs for Bellhorn, I'm thinking of picking him up, but bellhorn is like a career 180 hitter at coors. You guys think he'll pick it up? had a great season last year.
Thx
icepak
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:33 am

Chris Stynes isn't playing bad at all for Colorado (.825 OPS) so I don't see Bellhorn getting much playing time for now.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby sinicalypse » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:37 am

lamentably, i'm thinking that the horn was a fluke last season. i think his .180 average at coors can be attributed to trying to hit HRs too much, thus i'm betting that he struck out and flied out mucho. i see it like he's a guy still playing for that one big contract that can make him a solid millionaire for life, so whenever he got a chance to swing the bat at coors he was going for the HRs, knowing that's his meal ticket.

realistically, his value is only marginally increased by this move. he just wasn't hitting this season, although, he has a respectable rbi total (in the mid-upper 20s?) for a guy hitting .180 on a team that isnt known for its run producing. that said, if he gets back on track and even gets hot, i see maybe 20 HR this season tops, even with the coors factor measured in. at his peak, i think bellhorn is realistically a .250-275 guy with ~15-25 HR pop, and decent rbis.. maybe 75 if he hits 20 HR and has time in a 2-6 slot. so i dont see mark rediscovering the magic of last season... he was a decent player on a bad team who got a heap of playing time with no pressure on him, so wow, 27HR. but now that the cubs are suddenly contenders and everyone in town is thinking "ooh, we've got bellhorn" the pressure on him is to hit 20+ HR and be a key chunk f the cubs lineup, at least from the fan perspective. i dont think jim hendry, obviously evident at this point, ever had bellhorn engraved in stone as his man at third... so now hernandez.

i dont get the cubs end of it much. sure, bellhorn sucks... and jose hernandez can hold his own defensively (altho i dont know him much at 3rd), those Ks are awfully rally killing... sure bellhorn was .200ish, but jose isn't world championship material unless three or four other guys in the lineup (patterson, sosa, alou, karros/choi) go off collectively.. then having a 7 hole hitter with 25 HR pop can make those Ks stomachable.

i dont think the cubs can rely on bobby hill to be a leadoff hitter... and grudzie and gonzalez have come down to earth... that said, deal for luis castillo... take his perennial .320/30+ steals bat and legs and run with it.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby thehat » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:55 am

Bellhorn is a stiff regardless of the locale.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers