Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox discussing Clemens

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:01 pm

according to ESPN.com Clemens "reacted positivly" when he was infromed the Red Sox had contacted his agent.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:04 pm

quietstorm wrote:
OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:
quietstorm wrote:It would also kill his stats to play in Arlington.

Does it really matter? Sure his numbers will go up moderately, but he did have a sub 2.00 ERA last year...

Kill is too powerful of a statement...
I'm not certain it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor
http://www.sportfanatics.net/Baseball/F ... istics.htm

In both measures, Arlington is significantly worse for pitchers than Houston.

His ERA last year wouldn't continue even in Petco, so expecting it to remain nearly the same in Arlington would be folly. (Of course, his ERA was even lower in away games last year, but his home run rate and walk rate were both higher, and his strikeout rate was lower. That his ERA was lower away was, I think, pure coincidence.)

All that the Rangers would care about is if he could produce a sub 4.0 ERA in Arlington. And I think that's a given. The Rangers don't need an Ace in the sense of a 2.5 ERA pitcher. Their offense is so much better than Houston's that it would make a world of difference in the win column, despite a higher ERA.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby nsulham » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:23 am

thedude wrote:according to ESPN.com Clemens "reacted positivly" when he was infromed the Red Sox had contacted his agent.

Of course he's going to react positively. He knows there's a huge payday involved for him if he goes back to Boston. At this moment I'm on the fence about the situation. The sentimentalist in me wants to see him back where he began, hooking up with fellow great Schill and fellow Texan and protege Beckett. We'll see.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:43 am

George_Foreman wrote:And sorely too expensive, methinks. >_<
Ya, he's gonna be too expensive for anyone. $20 mil plus.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby BritSox » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:00 pm

nsulham wrote:
thedude wrote:according to ESPN.com Clemens "reacted positivly" when he was infromed the Red Sox had contacted his agent.

Of course he's going to react positively. He knows there's a huge payday involved for him if he goes back to Boston. At this moment I'm on the fence about the situation. The sentimentalist in me wants to see him back where he began, hooking up with fellow great Schill and fellow Texan and protege Beckett. We'll see.

Yup. He's not going to go 'oh, how dare you offer me $20m to come back!' I still think it's very, very unlikely though.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Trot Nixon » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:04 pm

El Gaupo wrote: as a sox fan I would like to see him go f#@K himself
I'll second that, he's a baby, don't want him
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:51 pm

El Gaupo wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:As a sox fan, him coming to beantown woudl be so incredible...finally give fans a real goodbye...what happened in the mid 90's with the Sox and Clemens was real ugly, for him to come back would be great! He could end his career with his true colors!

as a sox fan I would like to see him go f#@K himself

Good attitude. Clemens would help your team more than anyone else and you'd rather see him go f himself.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby BritSox » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:10 pm

Well, we can't afford to sign him without trading manny, so with due respect, i'd rather we didn't.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:15 pm

BritSox wrote:
nsulham wrote:

Yup. He's not going to go 'oh, how dare you offer me $20m to come back!' I still think it's very, very unlikely though.

I agree, i don't think it is happening (he is probably just as likely to go to New York, remember how much he liked it there...) But i would give him 20 million. Who cares if the Red Sox go over the Luxury tax, Next season there is no tax, so there would be no penalty for exceeding the luxury tax three years in a row.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby Field » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 pm

I would be very surprised if the Sox would take on Roger at that price unless they dealt Clement and probably Manny. Also depends on how money is exchanged in those two deals, it would certainly look bad if the sox had to pay the salary of multiple players who were not even part of the team for a year or two or three.

Ah, to be a free agent pitcher- now that is the life.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -20)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers