Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox discussing Clemens

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby daullaz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 pm

From mlbtraderumors.com:

Plenty of buzz going around about Roger Clemens entertaining new teams such as the Red Sox, Yankees, or Rangers for the 2006 season. According to my Astros source, however, Clemens is again choosing between the Astros and retirement.

Houston Chronicle writer Brian McTaggart has confirmed that Brad Ausmus is very close to signing a two-year pact with the Astros. It's well known that Clemens does not want to pitch for any other catcher, and the Red Sox tried in vain to lure Ausmus out East. Boston was never really an option for Ausmus, who wants to be a starter and considered only San Diego as an alternative.

According to my Astros source, look for Clemens to return to Houston and start taking advantage of some of his previously negotiated perks. In 2006, Clemens would skip more road trips to stay with his family. Look for Roger to pull a few strings and try to get the Astros to promote his son Koby to the Corpus Christi Hooks (Double A club located in Texas). Third baseman Koby has played just nine games at Class A with the Tri City ValleyCats in New York. In addition, Roger has a ten-year agreement to work for the Astros after retirement to work with the club's young players.

After pitching in the World Baseball Classic, expect Clemens to take a few months off and return to the Astros around mid-June. His salary will certainly be less than $18MM, and the team will hopefully have acquired the improved offensive players Clemens desires.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:49 pm

Yuck, I dont like that last article at all. I hope the Yanks or RedSox sign him.

That article said his son plays for the Tri City ValleyCats in New York. Maybe be signs with the Yanks to be closer to his son.....wishful thinking on my part.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 29)

Postby Apollo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:51 pm

After pitching in the World Baseball Classic, expect Clemens to take a few months off and return to the Astros around mid-June.

They would let him get away with that? I think it sets a terrible precedent to let any player, even Clemens, show up two months into the season.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:59 pm

Apollo wrote:
After pitching in the World Baseball Classic, expect Clemens to take a few months off and return to the Astros around mid-June.

They would let him get away with that? I think it sets a terrible precedent to let any player, even Clemens, show up two months into the season.

Ahhh......That was the Astros choice. They didn't offer him arbitration so he CANNOT resign until May 1st.

They did that because they did not want him accepting arbitration when he could potentionally win the arbitration case and get over 20 million. This would signifactly restrain what they could do in the offseason.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:03 pm

If he does sign with a team other than the Astros, do you guys think he will really get 20 mill? Thats a lot of dough.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 29)

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:08 pm

BravesGuy wrote:If he does sign with a team other than the Astros, do you guys think he will really get 20 mill? Thats a lot of dough.

he got 18 million last year. RJ gets around 16-17 million (maybe more). Pedro got 17.5 million in 2004 (that was a team option). Considering it is a one year deal teams would willing to slightly because there is no long term investment needed.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby Apollo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:41 pm

Ahhh......That was the Astros choice. They didn't offer him arbitration so he CANNOT resign until May 1st.

Oh, right, of course. I just read the sentence about showing up in June and my indignation button went off. :*)

Of course, knowing all the other perks Roger gets, it wouldn't be surprising...

Anyway, I think it'd be a lousy move for the Sox (or anyone) to give him $20 million. The guy had a 3.91 ERA his last year in the AL East, and he's old as dirt. He's bound to fall apart sometime. Having Manny is much more of a sure thing than having Roger, even with Manny's griping.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby SCARPARIELLI » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:57 pm

The guy had a 3.91 ERA his last year in the AL East, and he's old as dirt. He's bound to fall apart sometime.

Quick quiz: how many pitchers had ERAs under 4.00 in the AL East in 2005? Name them.

Five.
Towers 3.71
Chacin 3.72
Kazmir 3.77
Johnson 3.79
Chen 3.83

And Wakefield is next at 4.15. Clemens would return as the best (maybe by a lot) pitcher in the division. Not that I think they will...
[/quote]
SCARPARIELLI
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby El Gaupo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:41 pm

Yoda wrote:
El Gaupo wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:As a sox fan, him coming to beantown woudl be so incredible...finally give fans a real goodbye...what happened in the mid 90's with the Sox and Clemens was real ugly, for him to come back would be great! He could end his career with his true colors!

as a sox fan I would like to see him go f#@K himself

Good attitude. Clemens would help your team more than anyone else and you'd rather see him go f himself.

Yes, I would. I would perfer that they bring in a SS, CF and RP. I think they would be more helpful.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers