Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Yankees make offer to Nomar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby luckygehrig » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:05 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Nomar in Pinstripes - :-P

As well, I do not see him working out as a first basemen. Surely Jason Giambi, who has played the position before, can handle those duties. Maybe he would be the full-time DH?

Go back to Boston.

The Yanks really do not like the idea of having Giambi play 162 games in the field. He's injury prone and as long as someone else can carry their weight at the bottom of the lineup, the Yanks will throw them out there for their defense.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rotterdam_82 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:27 pm

The logic is simple DWM, the Yankees can't possibly go an entire off-season only making sensible moves that improve the team. They have to bring in a big in a 'big name' to appease the fans, no matter how absurd the idea.

Any 'big name' will do, they'd dig up Mickey Mantle if they thought it would sell more tickets. I call it 'keeping up with the Mutts'...... :-D
Last edited by rotterdam_82 on Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349 - English Villains
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:31 pm

The Yankees need a infielder for their DL team :-D
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby quietstorm » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:07 pm

Funny that some people liked Nomar to the Jays, but when it's the Yankees trying to sign him, everybody says he's old and broken-down.

LOL
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:42 pm

quietstorm wrote:Funny that some people liked Nomar to the Jays, but when it's the Yankees trying to sign him, everybody says he's old and broken-down.

LOL

I noticed this too
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby lbbaseball14 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:55 pm

I agree... I'll definetely take a chance on him if Nomar is on the Yankees.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:06 pm

quietstorm wrote:Funny that some people liked Nomar to the Jays, but when it's the Yankees trying to sign him, everybody says he's old and broken-down.

LOL

I get what you are saying, but that is not the case with me. I actually think Nomar will be a good signing by most any team this offseason as his dollar value has definitely plummetted over the last 2 or 3 years, but I just don't see how a Nomar signing helps the Yankees run for another championship at all. The Yankees problems are at defense and pitching not another bat in the lineup, especially a bat in the lineup at a position that he has never played before.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby blankman » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:21 pm

I wouldn't be against taking a cheap flyer on him. The Big 3 AL SS's years ago all in the same infield. :-b
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:25 pm

I wouldn't mind taking him on the Yankees. Depending on the type of deal and money, he could be a nice asset heading into next year for any team. Him and Giambi could probably split time at DH and 1B.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers