Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Yankees make offer to Nomar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:42 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
blankman wrote:I wouldn't be against taking a cheap flyer on him. The Big 3 AL SS's years ago all in the same infield. :-b

What would you consider cheap?

I'm not gonna talk for him, but I would assume that ~$7M is okay.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dark Knight » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:11 pm

quietstorm wrote:Funny that some people liked Nomar to the Jays, but when it's the Yankees trying to sign him, everybody says he's old and broken-down.

LOL

I'm not a huge Yankees fan, but everybody who is not a fan of the Yankees will bash on any player they sign, big name or not, because of their utter despise for the Yanks. When the most hated team in MLB makes a move, then all the haters come out in full force to bash it in the hope that the bashing will be justified in the player's performance for the Yanks. Yankees fans need to have a thick hide, because you are the fans of the greatest team in MLB history, and are hated for it by all the other non-Yankee fans.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DC nats05 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:21 pm

i bet that the yankees don't get nomar... just my opinion.
DC nats05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mocabeenow » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:32 pm

i think if Nomar does go to the Yankees, it makes me like his value for this season even more. He's still eligible at SS, and 3B. I would love it if all he had to do was DH. Less chance for injury, and more chance for offensive production within one of the best offensive lineups in baseball.

No particular order:
A-Rod
Sheffield
Jeter
Matsui
Giambi
Cano
Posada

I'll draft him late when i'm looking for backups without hesitation.

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby daullaz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:41 pm

And then, just to round it out, they need to trade Cano, Wang and a prospect to Baltimore for Tejada and shift him to 2nd.

3rd to 1st: A-Rod, Jeter, Tejada, Nomar. Priceless.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:38 pm

quietstorm wrote:Funny that some people liked Nomar to the Jays, but when it's the Yankees trying to sign him, everybody says he's old and broken-down.

LOL

Because the signing could help the Jays while it wouldn't help the Yankees (on another note, if it's for 7 Million a year, screw it, Nomar is worthless).

The Yankees don't need more offense, that wasn't their problem last year, pitching was. The Jays do need another bat, and they could use someone who plays 3B and SS, for the Jays Nomar would meet a need, while for the Yankees, he would not.

Anyway, if the offer to Nomar was for 7 million, than it doesn't matter anyway. He's just not worth that much.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby quietstorm » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:41 pm

No, I understand that. It's the nature of the criticism. I said the Jays would be overpaying for an old, oft-injured player. I got lambasted for it. Here, everybody is saying it.

Whether or not the Jays need him doesn't change that anybody who signs him will be overpaying, or that he's going to get hurt.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:46 pm

RAmst23 wrote:

LOL

Because the signing could help the Jays while it wouldn't help the Yankees (on another note, if it's for 7 Million a year, screw it, Nomar is worthless).

wait so just because the Jays NEED him more, it makes him healthy and ready to go, but because he'll split time with giambi at 1st he'll be worthless? interesting... :-?

nomar wont sniff 7 mil. max i can see him getting is 5 mil a season, and he'll probably get a 3 mil deal lined with a lot of incentives. this is a good deal for the yankees. im not sold yet on him playing 1b because they're carrying andy phillips for backup. i think they're just going to try to ease him into center field if he can prove he can stay healthy.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers