Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Yankees make offer to Nomar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:54 pm

dyuen87 wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:
quietstorm wrote:Funny that some people liked Nomar to the Jays, but when it's the Yankees trying to sign him, everybody says he's old and broken-down.

LOL

Because the signing could help the Jays while it wouldn't help the Yankees (on another note, if it's for 7 Million a year, screw it, Nomar is worthless).

wait so just because the Jays NEED him more, it makes him healthy and ready to go, but because he'll split time with giambi at 1st he'll be worthless? interesting... :-?

nomar wont sniff 7 mil. max i can see him getting is 5 mil a season, and he'll probably get a 3 mil deal lined with a lot of incentives. this is a good deal for the yankees. im not sold yet on him playing 1b because they're carrying andy phillips for backup. i think they're just going to try to ease him into center field if he can prove he can stay healthy.
Ricciardi backed off Nomar because the price was getting too high, and even they were reported to have offered him a 2 year-10 million dollar deal. He isn't going to be cheap.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Honus » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:59 pm

I hope the Indians get him to replace Boone. Then maybe he'll rebound just like Millwood.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:03 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Center Field :-b :-b I will look forward to that.

Nomar cant be worse than Damon. He's definitely athletic enough to play center or at least cover ground in left and move Matsui to center. and what do you want Cashman to do about the rotation? unless anyone's willing to take wright or pavano off their hands, the Yankees are going to have to go with what the have:

1. RJ
2. Moose
3. Chacon
4. Wang
5. Pavano

the yankees won 95 games last year after ALL of their rotation hit the DL. :-o anything that could have gone wrong last year did go wrong. i really doubt that we'll be hit by the injury bug that seriously next season. he is going to add a few more arms to the pen, but the options arent great out there.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:06 pm

My guess is that Nomar will get somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 million dollars. At that price, I'd be very willing to sign him if I'm the Yankees.

The Yankees first priority is obviously not offense, but that doesn't mean the Nomar signing is worthless. There are several positives that can come of this signing...

1. Giambi is absolutely awful at 1B. Just because he's played the position before doesn't mean he's better than Nomar. I'd be willing to bet that Nomar could make more progress at 1B in a month than Giambi has in his entire career. Nomar is athletic and would have little problem switching to 1B. He was a very good shortstop for years, and picked up 3B in the middle of last season. A shift to 1B would be fairly easy for him IMO. The defense will improve.

2. The Yankees have no DH. Now, they have a great lineup, but they have NOBODY off the bench. By adding Nomar, they strengthen both their starting lineup, and their bench which has been pitiful for years.

3. By signing Nomar and rotating he and Giambi between 1B and DH, you keep them both fresh. There would be a much less likely probability of them getting injured, which is a big plus for BOTH of them.

At $5 million dollars, I'd definately sign Nomar. He serves much more purpose than most of you give him credit for. If the price is right, go for it.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:08 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:At $5 million dollars, I'd definately sign Nomar. He serves much more purpose than most of you give him credit for. If the price is right, go for it.

So would I, but he's been reported to have been offered more than that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:09 pm

Projected Yankee lineup if this goes down:

1. Derek Jeter SS
2. Nomar Garciaparra 1B
3. Alex Rodriguez 3B
4. Hideki Matsui LF
5. Gary Sheffield RF
6. Jason Giambi DH
7. Robinson Cano 2B
8. Jorge Posada C
9. Bubba Crosby CF

Bench:
-Kelley Stinnett C
-Andy Phillips 1B
-Bernie Williams CF

I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but that is one hell of a lineup. 8-o
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:12 pm

i love that lineup. we finally dont have waste any power in 2 hole. :-]

well maybe nomar didnt want to go to toronto. i wouldnt go to toronto for 5 mil if i could go to new york for 5 mil. more spotlight for next year if he goes into FA again.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:18 pm

dyuen87 wrote:i love that lineup. we finally dont have waste any power in 2 hole. :-]

well maybe nomar didnt want to go to toronto. i wouldnt go to toronto for 5 mil if i could go to new york for 5 mil. more spotlight for next year if he goes into FA again.

Jeff Blair, Globe and Mail wrote:We're done with him - he has more money on the table some place else," Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said Monday.

The Blue Jays were one of several teams to have discussions with Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, at the winter meetings and Tellem told the Blue Jays the interest was mutual.
But when the bidding for Garciaparra's surfaces edged over $5-million (U.S.), the Blue Jays had enough.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers