Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Yankees make offer to Nomar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:30 pm

The same people arguing for the Yanks not to spend money on players that are not in their longterm best interest are in favor of signing an old, injury prone player like Nomar to 10+M total contract to play a position he has never had experience with? Why?

Nomar is not worth diddly on the DL. Yanks should just use Phillips as the DH and be done with it. That or go spend real money on a real solution (which since Konerko and Delgado have been signed/dealt is not really an option now for 1b at least).
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:30 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:I think the Yanks are just driving up the price for another team that is interested in him. Just because he made the switch to third doesnt automatically mean he would be a better option at first then Giambi. So since say Edgar Renteria was athletic, you would be fine with him as your first basemen? How about Rafael Furcal?

Again, as mweir has said, it doesnt look as though Nomar is looking at the 5 mil dollar range.

Have you ever watched Jason Giambi play first base? Give me Furcal and Renty. :-°
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:31 pm

so JP will give 55 million for 5 years, 11 per, to burnett, but wont give over 5 mil for nomar... interesting... i just think that the Blue Jays are shying away from the risk because they have enough already. ;-7

it's pretty hard NOT to be a better fielder than giambi. i've always believed if you're athletic enough you can learn a position over time. look at ARod at third. garciapara is a natural athlete and i think he can learn 1b and play it a lot better than giambi, which once again, isnt that hard.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:34 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:The same people arguing for the Yanks not to spend money on players that are not in their longterm best interest are in favor of signing an old, injury prone player like Nomar to 10+M total contract to play a position he has never had experience with? Why?

Nomar is not worth diddly on the DL. Yanks should just use Phillips as the DH and be done with it. That or go spend real money on a real solution (which since Konerko and Delgado have been signed/dealt is not really an option now for 1b at least).

I listed the reasons for signing Nomar. You cannot equate it to going after Johnny Damon for 5 years or Brian Giles. Nomar won't get close to the money that those 'old, injury prone' guys will. This is a potentially high reward signing, and based on the fact that you won't be paying him a whole lot, it's relatively low risk by Yankee standards. You are the one always moaning about the DH and bench spots, Nomar helps both of the causes. He can relieve Giambi at 1B and probably play a decent 1B. It stregthens the bench by moving Phillips and Bernie there, and improves the lineup as well.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rotterdam_82 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:35 pm

This is a mute point, because he's going to end up with the Braves anyway.

You heard it here first ;-D
Rate my team, leave me a link!
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349 - English Villains
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:35 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Yes, I have watched him. Still doesnt mean Nomar would be a better defensive option - Have you seen Nomar play first?

No I haven't seen Nomar play first, but I'd be willing to go in blind with him at first rather than have Giambi there for 162 games.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers