Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Yankees make offer to Nomar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:38 pm

He helps no one on the DL which is where he likely will be 50+% of the time. And since when is 5M or more a year cheap? I rather let Phillip get the job then sign someone like Nomar or Damon. It is just wasting 10M on someone who is 2 years past his prime and who has proen to be totally unreliable. And for a DH...you can get cheaper options with less risk if you want to go that route. For 1b, all you are getting is another old, overpriced stiff playing out of position and hoping he regains his form.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:39 pm

Nomar is washed up please don't sign him yankees...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:43 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Yes, I have watched him. Still doesnt mean Nomar would be a better defensive option - Have you seen Nomar play first?

No I haven't seen Nomar play first, but I'd be willing to go in blind with him at first rather than have Giambi there for 162 games.

Not saying the Yanks should go with him for the entire season but why not sign say a Doug Meckewientz (close enough) that can platoon with Giambi (switch off from DH to 1B)

Because at that point you may as well bring Tino back. Tino is a nice guy and can't hit ANY worse than Mienkwitz. They need a backup 1b and Phillips can get theat job done. Whether they should make him the DH is another story, but if the option is to sign some old stiff that is onthe track to Juan Gone-ism or Griffey-ism I rather take my chances with Phillips. Heck, I am sure Frank Thomas can be had on the cheap for a lot less than Nomar and on a 1 year deal if they want to sign old, injury prone has beens.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:44 pm

dyuen87 wrote:so JP will give 55 million for 5 years, 11 per, to burnett, but wont give over 5 mil for nomar... interesting... i just think that the Blue Jays are shying away from the risk because they have enough already. ;-7

Most teams in baseball have a budget, the Jays are just one of those teams..

As for the Yankee's interest in Nomar, well I've heard that the sole reason for the Yankees even getting into this picture was to drive up the price on Toronto. They may not even have a serious interest in him at all.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:48 pm

just going by what i hear, but i heard that Cashman contacted Nomar's agent today and expressed interest in Nomar, even now when the Jays are out of the running. i think the interest is genuine.

Rockets, you seriously expect Yankee fans to accept Doug Men.. as a defensive replacement when they turned down Tino Martinez's option in 2006? Cashman would have hell to pay for if he did that. plus Doug is a ... put nicely, jerk. Mr. Mets-Cant-Do-Anything-Right, i bet he wishes he was on their team now.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:53 pm

dyuen87 wrote:just going by what i hear, but i heard that Cashman contacted Nomar's agent today and expressed interest in Nomar, even now when the Jays are out of the running. i think the interest is genuine.

We'll see what happens.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:54 pm

that's all we can do.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby rooster7 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:03 pm

New to the cafe and thought I should chime in here. Making a switch from any infield position to first base is an easy switch. They may not be Derrek Lee at 1b but with Nomar's athletic ablility and ability to field ground balls and catch a ball from no more than 120 feet away should not be a problem. First base is usually the person in the infield who has lost some range and is injury prone. I dont see any reason why Nomar couldn't handle 1b
rooster7
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:05 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:He helps no one on the DL which is where he likely will be 50+% of the time. And since when is 5M or more a year cheap? I rather let Phillip get the job then sign someone like Nomar or Damon. It is just wasting 10M on someone who is 2 years past his prime and who has proen to be totally unreliable. And for a DH...you can get cheaper options with less risk if you want to go that route. For 1b, all you are getting is another old, overpriced stiff playing out of position and hoping he regains his form.

I understand the injury concern. You see him as washed up, I haven't written him off as that yet. If that's your opinion that's cool. I just think that with the Yankees extreme lack of depth, and the fact that Nomar will likely only cost a few more millions than some other DH/bench/1B option, with an amazingly higher upside.

I don't even see who the cheaper DH options are that you speak of. The pool is pretty dry right now. I'm not saying that it is mandantory they get Nomar because of it, I just think that if the price is around $5 million, that's a gamble I'd probably be willing to take.

He played very well when he came back from injury last year, and I think that by platooning him with Giambi, that will preserve both of them throughout the season. He can also help upgrade the defense because almost anything at 1B is better than Giambi. He brings a great clubhouse presence and a potentially dangerous bat from the number 2 hole, for a relatively low price.

If the price is higher than what I'm projecting it to be, then I would not go for it. But based on the market right now, and Nomar's potential and willingness to play wherever he has to in order to help the team, I wouldn't mind this move.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers