Return to Baseball Leftovers

Garland on his way out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Garland on his way out?

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:36 pm

Interesting article Here

Scot Gregor, Daily Herald.com wrote:CHICAGO - The White Sox patiently stuck by Jon Garland's side when the talented starting pitcher combined to go 36-36 from 2002-04. They looked the other way when Garland publicly criticized negative fan reaction and blamed teammates following poor performances.

Now, the Sox think Garland is trying to stick it to them. More specifically, they think the 26-year-old right-hander is trying to stick them up at the pay window following his breakout 18-win season.

That is the overriding reason the White Sox acquired starting pitcher Javier Vazquez in a trade from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

At some point before the start of the 2006 season, Garland is a near lock to be traded.

Sox general manager Kenny Williams would neither confirm nor deny such a move Wednesday. But he did indicate that Jose Contreras appears willing to accept a reasonable multiyear contract.

Like Garland, Contreras is eligible for free agency at the end of the 2006 season.

"Jose seems to understand the great opportunity he's been given here,'' Williams said. "And the bottom line is, I want to make sure I have the pitching to support all of the offense we've added. That remains the top priority.''

According to a source, Garland has already turned down a three-year offer from the White Sox and is determined to test the open market.

Garland's agent, Craig Landis, did not return phone calls Wednesday. Landis also represents first baseman Paul Konerko, who agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract Nov. 30.

There figures to be plenty of interest in Garland, who went 18-10 with a 3.50 ERA while finishing sixth in American League Cy Young Award voting. Garland, originally selected by the Cubs in the first round of the 1997 draft, has averaged 206 innings per season from 2002-05, and his sinker is one of baseball's best.

On the down side, Garland is expecting a significant raise after making $3.4 million in 2005. And if another team does have interest, they'd also have to deal with his impending free-agent status.

According to a source, the Sox want at least two quality pitching prospects for Garland.

With Vazquez and Garland both on the books right now, the White Sox' estimated payroll for 2006 is $95 million. By trading Garland, the payroll would drop well below $90 million.

"It's kind of a floating number, but we want to check in around $90 million,'' Williams said of the final payroll. This season, the Sox' payroll was $75 million.

In addition to trading Garland, Williams is shopping for a left-handed relief pitcher to replace Damaso Marte, who was traded to the Pirates for utility man Rob Mackowiak.

The White Sox are expected to replace Luis Vizcaino, part of the package sent to Arizona for Vazquez, internally. Minor-leaguers Jeff Bajenaru and Sean Tracey are two of the top candidates for the bullpen opening.

Williams did shoot down a rumor that the Sox are offering shortstop Juan Uribe and starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy to the Baltimore Orioles in a trade for shortstop Miguel Tejada.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349 - English Villains
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:39 pm

baltimore eh?
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -52)

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:41 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of an NL move if they are after pitching prospects, although I could see him involved in a Tejada deal.
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:45 pm

Javier Vazquez trade makes much more sense now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby stumpak » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:49 pm

I don't think Garland is being unreasonable. Given the money that is being tossed around this offseason, he should rightfully expect to get paid in a big way. I don't see how Williams can get so self-righteous when Garland is merely seeking his full market value.

The interesting question is what they trade him for.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:08 pm

Get rid of Garland get Tejada
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:12 pm

acsguitar wrote:Get rid of Garland get Tejada
Uribe and Garland for Tejada? O:-)
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby logan » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:52 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Get rid of Garland get Tejada
Uribe and Garland for Tejada? O:-)

now that's a deal that i could say was great. it wont happen but it would be very nice if it did. i don't mind him asking for more money but he really doesn't have a leg to stand on. he wasn't great before last year and we sox fans and the orginaization remember all to well the last time a guy came out of no where to win alot of games and look great then crash back to mediocrity quickly. it's the "loaiza" rule. he should keep quiet and put up another solid year. then demand money. but i'll hapily trade him to bmore with uribe for tejada. gets mccarthy into the rotation and another big bat in the lineup.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:35 pm

What about Garland to the Braves? I haven't heard anything, this is just me brainstorming. I know they have some young pitching prospects (Lerew and James come to mind). The Braves could use Garland in their rotation with Smoltz and Hudson making a good top three. The Sox could fill the hole in their rotation with McCarthy.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -1)

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:59 pm

Music2004Man wrote:What about Garland to the Braves? I haven't heard anything, this is just me brainstorming. I know they have some young pitching prospects (Lerew and James come to mind). The Braves could use Garland in their rotation with Smoltz and Hudson making a good top three. The Sox could fill the hole in their rotation with McCarthy.

We already have our equivelant of Garland in Thomson. The last thing we need right now is another starting pitcher.......
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers