Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox/Mariners Trade Rumor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BabyBulls » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:07 pm

acapulco wrote:Excuse me--I just blew into town from another planet--but what is so good about Jeremy Reed? If the Red Sox are looking for an alternative to Johnny Damon, there has to be somebody better out there. Doesn't Oakland have a glut of center fielders?

I seem to remember that Reed had pretty good minor league stats but I also seem to remember that he hit .240 something last year, not much of an OBP, no power, no sbs. Do the Red Sox co GMs know something that I don't?

I dont think the redsox need another 40 hr hitter, they need D. ALso reed probely will hit around .275 to .290 at fenway, its not like hes a 7 year vetern batting .240 for his career..I think this would be way betetr for the redsoxs, they save 40 million on damon , they could use on pitching next off season...
BabyBulls
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby stumpak » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:33 pm

Reed has some potential and may one day be adequate offensively, but let's not pretend like he is a 1 for 1 replacement for Damon.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:43 pm

by no means could he replace Damon on offense...but I still like it, especially if it's Clement we give them.

And Damon doesn't sign with The Empire :-o
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:51 pm

bigken117 wrote:by no means could he replace Damon on offense...but I still like it, especially if it's Clement we give them.

And Damon doesn't sign with The Empire :-o

From the way the story read, Boston wants it to be Clement, while the M's would rather have Arroyo. I'd prefer Arroyo but I guess we'll see what happens.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby BabyBulls » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:05 pm

stumpak wrote:Reed has some potential and may one day be adequate offensively, but let's not pretend like he is a 1 for 1 replacement for Damon.

What would you rather do, sign damon whos on the decline and a injury risk to a 4 yr 40 million dollar deal or have a role player in Reed, who plays D, which will help the resox more then a high price bat. Dont get me wrong, Damons great, but if your running a team, what would you rather do, do a yankee move, sign a superstar on the decline or get a young role player i n reed,. Sure he wont hit lights out, but he'll be a good 6 or 7th batter .Also you will save abotu 60 to 70 mill by not haven clement and Damon on your team.
BabyBulls
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:06 pm

eftda wrote:Who will the M's send to RF or CF if they trade Reed?

Personally I'd like to see them move Ichiro to CF and sign a guy like Burnitz to play RF. Or maybe Everett plays the field and they find someone to DH. Maybe they think Choo or Snelling can be the answer. I don't know what their plans are...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:55 pm

eftda wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
eftda wrote:Who will the M's send to RF or CF if they trade Reed?

Personally I'd like to see them move Ichiro to CF and sign a guy like Burnitz to play RF. Or maybe Everett plays the field and they find someone to DH. Maybe they think Choo or Snelling can be the answer. I don't know what their plans are...

I would think Burnitz's avg would die even more at Safco :-o

Yeah it would. His was just the first name I thought of. What I was trying to say is I'd take a guy on a 1- or 2-year deal and then hopefully Snelling or Choo would be ready by the time a spot opens up. Burnitz, Jacque Jones, Encarnacion, Reggie Sanders, Conine, all those guys would be ok options (some better than others) if they weren't for huge money and weren't long-term deals.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers