Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleepers for 2006

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sleepers for 2006

Postby baseball_playa18 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:53 pm

I'm sure it has already been posted once, but I searched and couldn't find it, so I decided to make my own. Which players will be the biggest sleepers for 2006. Young players, vets that were injured last year that will fall to later in the draft, anything. Who is your sleeper for 2006?
You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. -Jim Bouton

Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once.
baseball_playa18
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:55 pm

I'm saying that Joe Saunders P for the Cards might make an impact.

Seth McClung I think will have a better year too
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby BritSox » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:58 pm

Chad Tracy if he gets 3b eligibility back.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:02 pm

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=160898

I think you are a year late on Tracy. Too many people noticed him last year.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:16 pm

If Piazza signs in the AL as a DH, that will be alot of stress off his body. I like him to be one of the more productive fantasy catchers this year, yet I still see him ranked lower than guys like Pudge, Posada and Ramon Hernandez.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby Webster11 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:29 pm

Heres a list I posted late last year I think most of them are still relatively good sleepers.

Webster11 wrote:C - Ryan Doumit (Pit) - An OPS around .800 while batting in the middle of the pirates lineup after the all star break. Should improve in his 2nd year.

C - Ramon Hernandez (SD) - Very good when healthy. If he leaves Petco he could be great.

1B - Justin Morneau (Min) - Should rebound after a Sophomore slump. He has the potential to post the kind of numbers most expected put of him this year

1B - Todd Helton (Col) - Will slip in most drafts but he was back to his normal numbers after the break.

1B - Chad Tracy (Ari) - OPS over .900 this year and should recieve more consistent playing time next year as well as more RBI oppurtunities. Has had a great september.

2B - Rickie Weeks (Mil) - Has improved in his 2nd year at every level. Great power - speed combo.

2B - Mike Lowell (Fla) - he had a horrible year but he could have 2B eligibility in many leagues and anything close to his 200-2004 numbers would be great at 2B.

3B - David Wright (NYM) - Overall numbers dont appear to be at the elite level yet. But he has great speed for a corner infielder and should improve on his power numbers as he hits in the middle of the order for a full season next year. Hell be right behind MCab and Arod at 3rd next year.

3B - Ryan Zimmerman (Was) - Probably not worth a pick in anything but Dynasty leagues yet but hes very young and has been great since being called up. Keep a close eye on this kid

SS - JJ Hardy (Mil) - Post break number translate to a 70 run 25 hr 90 rbi .300 rbi season

SS - Clint Barmes (Col) - Hasnt performed since coming back, but dont forger about his early season numbers.

SS - Bobby Crosby (Oak) - Battled injuries most of the year but has improved his average and still displayed very good power.

OF - Brian Giles (SD) - A move away from Petco would really help his numbers

OF - Rocco Baldelli (TB) - Risky pick since hell be coming back from injury and entering a crowded OF but could really pay off.

OF - Jason Lane (Hou) - Should be more consistent next year and has displayed good power. Playing at Minute Maid wont hurt either.

OF - Curtis Granderson (Det) - Good power - speed combo. Should have an every day job next year.

OF - Jason Bay (Pit) - Yes he is an elite player (ranked #8 overall in yahoo leagues) but you wont have to pay elite money to get him. Hell be underrated again next year though playing for the Pirates.

SP - Rich Harden (Oak) - Should be a Cy Young candidate if healthy. Will cost less than other elite sps due to injury.

SP - Daniel Cabrera (Bal) - He has great stuff and has shown dramitc improvements since coming back from injury.

SP - Javier Vazquez (Ari) - Could rebound and it shouldnt cost too much to find out. Great K numbers and he looked very good in his last 3 starts.

SP - Anthony Reyes (Stl) - Has shown potential since being called up. Playing for the best team in the league will help his wins.

SP - Erik Bedard (Bal) - Has shown he has the ability to dominate. Overall numbers dont look great but he could end up paying huge dividends.

SP - Oliver Perez (Pit) - Many people will forget about him. Should rebound and at the very least provide great K's.

SP - Jeremy Bonderman (Det) - Horrible post break numbers will cause many people to avoid him. He could breakout like most thought he was doing after the 1st half of this year.

SP - Brandon McCarthy (CWS) - Has really shown he has the ability to dominate. Expect some rough spots as he struggles with consistent but he has huge upside for next year.

SP - Matt Cain (SF) - Same as above

RP - Kyle Farnsworth (Atl) - Has been dominant this year. Might be overlooked because of past inconsistencies and his 16 saves.

RP - Fernando Cabrera (Cle) - Has great stuff and has adjusted well to major league hitters. Wickman isnt getting any younger.

RP - Bobby Jenks (CWS) - As a former Hermanson owner Its becaome clear to me that Ozzie will give this kid very chance to take over the closers job next year, and he has the stuff to succeed.

RP - Mike Gonzalez (Pit) - If Mesa can rack up saves for the pirates, imagine what a somewhat capable pitcher could do.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:33 pm

Webster11 wrote:Heres a list I posted late last year I think most of them are still relatively good sleepers.

Webster11 wrote:C - Ryan Doumit (Pit) - An OPS around .800 while batting in the middle of the pirates lineup after the all star break. Should improve in his 2nd year.

C - Ramon Hernandez (SD) - Very good when healthy. If he leaves Petco he could be great.

1B - Justin Morneau (Min) - Should rebound after a Sophomore slump. He has the potential to post the kind of numbers most expected put of him this year

1B - Todd Helton (Col) - Will slip in most drafts but he was back to his normal numbers after the break.

1B - Chad Tracy (Ari) - OPS over .900 this year and should recieve more consistent playing time next year as well as more RBI oppurtunities. Has had a great september.

2B - Rickie Weeks (Mil) - Has improved in his 2nd year at every level. Great power - speed combo.

2B - Mike Lowell (Fla) - he had a horrible year but he could have 2B eligibility in many leagues and anything close to his 200-2004 numbers would be great at 2B.

3B - David Wright (NYM) - Overall numbers dont appear to be at the elite level yet. But he has great speed for a corner infielder and should improve on his power numbers as he hits in the middle of the order for a full season next year. Hell be right behind MCab and Arod at 3rd next year.

3B - Ryan Zimmerman (Was) - Probably not worth a pick in anything but Dynasty leagues yet but hes very young and has been great since being called up. Keep a close eye on this kid

SS - JJ Hardy (Mil) - Post break number translate to a 70 run 25 hr 90 rbi .300 rbi season

SS - Clint Barmes (Col) - Hasnt performed since coming back, but dont forger about his early season numbers.

SS - Bobby Crosby (Oak) - Battled injuries most of the year but has improved his average and still displayed very good power.

OF - Rocco Baldelli (TB) - Risky pick since hell be coming back from injury and entering a crowded OF but could really pay off.

OF - Jason Lane (Hou) - Should be more consistent next year and has displayed good power. Playing at Minute Maid wont hurt either.

OF - Curtis Granderson (Det) - Good power - speed combo. Should have an every day job next year.

OF - Jason Bay (Pit) - Yes he is an elite player (ranked #8 overall in yahoo leagues) but you wont have to pay elite money to get him. Hell be underrated again next year though playing for the Pirates.

SP - Rich Harden (Oak) - Should be a Cy Young candidate if healthy. Will cost less than other elite sps due to injury.

SP - Daniel Cabrera (Bal) - He has great stuff and has shown dramitc improvements since coming back from injury.

SP - Javier Vazquez (Ari) - Could rebound and it shouldnt cost too much to find out. Great K numbers and he looked very good in his last 3 starts.

SP - Anthony Reyes (Stl) - Has shown potential since being called up. Playing for the best team in the league will help his wins.

SP - Erik Bedard (Bal) - Has shown he has the ability to dominate. Overall numbers dont look great but he could end up paying huge dividends.

SP - Oliver Perez (Pit) - Many people will forget about him. Should rebound and at the very least provide great K's.

SP - Jeremy Bonderman (Det) - Horrible post break numbers will cause many people to avoid him. He could breakout like most thought he was doing after the 1st half of this year.

SP - Brandon McCarthy (CWS) - Has really shown he has the ability to dominate. Expect some rough spots as he struggles with consistent but he has huge upside for next year.

RP - Kyle Farnsworth (Atl) - Has been dominant this year. Might be overlooked because of past inconsistencies and his 16 saves.

RP - Fernando Cabrera (Cle) - Has great stuff and has adjusted well to major league hitters. Wickman isnt getting any younger.

RP - Bobby Jenks (CWS) - As a former Hermanson owner Its becaome clear to me that Ozzie will give this kid very chance to take over the closers job next year, and he has the stuff to succeed.

RP - Mike Gonzalez (Pit) - If Mesa can rack up saves for the pirates, imagine what a somewhat capable pitcher could do.

Half of these players are likely go in the first half of the draft. Not too many I would consider as sleepers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:34 pm

It's not a bad list of players who may be undervalued/underrated though. :-?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby Webster11 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Yoda wrote:
Webster11 wrote:Heres a list I posted late last year I think most of them are still relatively good sleepers.

Half of these players are likely go in the first half of the draft. Not too many I would consider as sleepers.

Ya but the other half are players I would consider sleepers, I wasnt about to type this up again just so some undervalued players who arent considered sleepers would be omitted :-°
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby dannyolbb » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:14 pm

I like the Lowell pick on that list. He's going to be wildly underrated going into this year.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers