Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleepers for 2006

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Surfs up » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:12 pm

Mike Jacobs FLA 1B Because of the breakup in Florida, he won't have a lot of protection around him. With that said, a very late round pick, who could get you 20+ home runs and 80+ RBIs could be a very good pick late in the draft. Wes Helms may take some at bats, see how things develop in Spring Training.

Josh Barfield SD 2B He will have to earn the starting second base job over Mark Bellhorn, so watch his progress this spring. He's only 23, but is a polished hitter. He has better power than most second baseman and will get 10 to 15 stolen bases a year. More useful in keeper leagues, but could be a good late round pick this year if he wins the starting job.

Ian Kinsler TEX 2B With Soriano being traded to Washington, Kinsler appears to be the favorite to get the second base job. He has some pop and decent speed. 15 homers and 15 stolen bases is obtainable. Another plus is that he plays in a hitter friendly part and is surrounded by a good hitting lineup.

Grady Sizemore CLE OF Okay, by now most people know of Grady Sizemore. The thing we like is that he does not stick out in any fantasy category, but produces well in everything. He is often overlooked because he doesn't excel in any category. Draft him in your middle rounds and enjoy his all-around production.
Delmon Young TB OF A "must have" in keeper leagues. He is the real deal. He will hit for power, steal 20 plus bases a year and hit around .300. He has a big upside and should do well in all fantasy categories once he is a full-time starter.

Matt Holliday COL OF Hits for a high average and has good power. Plays half of his games in Colorado. He is the best young hitter on the team. Enough said!
Jeremy Hermida FLA OF Our favorite heading into the season for National League Rookie of the Year honors. A lot like Delmon Young in that he does it all well. Maybe not quite the power threat that Delmon Young will develop into, but if your league has on-base percentage he may be more valuable. In minors he put up huge walk numbers and is a very patient hitter.

Randy Winn SF OF He has been solid for many years. We think with Bonds, Alou and Durham around him for a full season, all of his stats will go up in 2006. Would be a decent third outfielder for any fantasy team as he will do well in all fantasy categories.
Jonny Gomes TB OF Finally will have his chance to be a full-time player as a designated hitter this season. Has a very good power stroke. If you need home runs and RBIs late in the draft, don't overlook him.

Ryan Church WAS OF The Nationals have made room for Church to be a full-time player in 2006. Highly touted in the minors, he shown glimpses of his potential last season. Would be a good late round pick, if you are willing to take some risk.

Jason Kubel MIN OF If he does start in right field this year for Minnesota, he would be a steal in the later part of your draft. He is coming back from a major knee injury, but prior to that was a top ten prospect heading into the 2005 season. Watch this progress in spring training, as he may turn out to be a real gem.

Brad Wilkerson TEX OF Moves from Washington to a great hitters park in Texas. He has always had good runs scored and homerun numbers. Now in this Texas lineup, he should increases runs batted in and his batting average. 30 homers, 105 runs, 90 RBIs and 15 stolen bases could be achieved in 2006.

Huston Street OAK RP May get overlooked because he was not the closer all year last season. Will produce very good ERA and WHIP numbers. With the experience he gained from last year and starting 2006 as the closer, 35 to 40 saves could be obtained making him a top fantasy closer. Don't let him slip too far down in the draft.

Derrick Turnbow MIL RP Not well known before last season, he had a breakout year in 2005. Do not overbid/draft him too early, but he should be a top closer again in 2006. He may get overlooked because he plays in Milwaukee, but would be a good middle round pick on an improving team.

Travis Bowyer FLA RP Could be the closer in Florida this season. Came over from Minnesota in the Luis Castillo trade. Was very good in the minors and could be a steal late in the draft. He should have a good number of strikeouts for a closer and 25+ saves is a real possibility.

Felix Hernandez SEA SP Luckily fantasy owners only got a small taste of Felix last season. He is the real deal, and another "must have" in keeper leagues. He will excel in ERA and WHIP, and have a good strikeout and win numbers. In keeper leagues, if you can get him anytime after round three, you will get good value for him.

Matt Cain SF SP Probably the most polished pitcher in the minors. He will be on a good San Francisco team playing in a pitchers park, all of which will help his numbers. He is worth taking in the middle of your draft. Should be a solid number three starting pitcher on your fantasy team.

Doug Davis MIL SP Like Turnbow, is overlooked because he plays in Milwaukee. He has put together a couple of good years (check out his fantasy stats). We like him even more on improving Brewer club. He will provide lots of strikeouts and wins this season.

Francisco Liriano MIN SP This is our wild card player, who could be a boom or bust pick. We think he would be worth a pick later in the draft. Very good pitcher in the minors who should continue to produce high strikeout number in the majors. He is penciled in to be a starter in the Twins rotation for the 2006 season. Only concern is his past injury problems. Watch him this spring to judge for yourself, we think you will like what you see.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby domination » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:11 pm

i love doug davis, he is any easy get with good numbers i try to get him in a lot of my drafts.
Fear is the mind killer.
domination
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby RynMan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:24 pm

Surfs up wrote:
Doug Davis MIL SP Like Turnbow, is overlooked because he plays in Milwaukee. He has put together a couple of good years (check out his fantasy stats). We like him even more on improving Brewer club. He will provide lots of strikeouts and wins this season.

Absolutely.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:30 am

I'm sorry, but 'King' Felix is NOT a sleeper...though he will be great next year too...
Everything I keep hearing about Kubel is that his knee injury could hold him back till quite late this year...
Some sleepers that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Jeff Mathis C Anaheim: The Angels let Molina go, and are willing to let him take over, and he should hit well enough to deserve the Catcher job...

Junior Spivey 2B Stl: look at the last two 2B for Stl, everyone thought they were pretty much done, bu tthey bounced back for decent seasons, and Spivey could be the next 2B to revive his career there
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby suppasonic » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:14 am

I think Ponson may surprise a few people. Now, he will not post anything close to the numbers to when he was an "ace", but in deeper leagues he may be worth a pick one of the last rounds.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -85)

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:30 am

Just read that Estes is heading to the Padres. :-? NL only, maybe he is servicable.....especially if it is 4x4.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:31 am

I'll throw a couple Brewers out there that I feel I have a good grasp for. I won't name Davis or Weeks, those guys should be well on the radar for fantasy players who know what they're doing. A couple that I look at:

SS JJ Hardy -- It's easy to look at his season stats and be down on him, but look at his splits:

Pre All-Star -- .187 AVG, 1 HR, 19 RBI (187 AB)
Post All-Star -- .308 AVG, 8 HR, 31 RBI (185 AB)

Keep in mind that this is a guy who basically had no AAA experience due to an injury and an organizational need for a SS. He started in Milwaukee fresh off an injury that ended his only AAA season the year before, and looked clearly tentative to test his shoulder. Once he found a rhythm, he looked great, driving the ball to the gaps with authority. Now, he won't be splitting time with Bill Hall as he did last year, as Billy should be the starting 3B. He would be a guy I'd be looking at in decent size leagues (nothing under 12 teams).

SP David Bush -- He seems like the exact kind of player that Mike Maddux can turn into an excellent pitcher. Another former Blue Jay (a la Doug Davis) who has the right mix of mound presence, mentality, and stuff to get a lot out of Maddux's tutelage. I like him more than Ohka and possibly Capuano this year. He has to earn his spot in the rotation first, due to Helling's fantastic season last year. I think he'll get it though. Another guy to target in deeper leagues, but that's what true sleepers are, right?
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:24 am

suppasonic wrote:I think Ponson may surprise a few people. Now, he will not post anything close to the numbers to when he was an "ace", but in deeper leagues he may be worth a pick one of the last rounds.

no he won't :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Scarp » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:18 pm

suppasonic wrote:I think Ponson may surprise a few people. Now, he will not post anything close to the numbers to when he was an "ace", but in deeper leagues he may be worth a pick one of the last rounds.

Reyes should be starting over him.
Scarp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers