Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleepers for 2006

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GameOn » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:36 pm

The guy I always try to target in drafts is Ryan Freel. He has 2B/3B/OF eligibility, which allows you to carry one less infielder on your roster in favor of an extra bigger bat (OF or 1B) or a pitcher. I also play mostly leagues that include OBP or BB, so Freel is an excellent player for these leagues because he not only racks up SBs but he also gets on base much better than any other speedster in the league.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re

Postby 24 fan Dewey, Manny » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:05 pm

I like Iguichi this year, he's moving down in the order to around 5th so hopefully we'll see more power and more ab's with RISP. ;-D
24 fan Dewey, Manny
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby zhutou » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:30 pm

GameOn wrote:The guy I always try to target in drafts is Ryan Freel. He has 2B/3B/OF eligibility, which allows you to carry one less infielder on your roster in favor of an extra bigger bat (OF or 1B) or a pitcher. I also play mostly leagues that include OBP or BB, so Freel is an excellent player for these leagues because he not only racks up SBs but he also gets on base much better than any other speedster in the league.

amen. freel is one of my favorite fantasy players. a very deeeep sleeper is daniel cabrera, who under mazzone's wing could do nasty things with his heater. :-°
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby zhutou » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:32 pm

forgot to mention my man danny haren... he will be a stud next season.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby BritSox » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:06 pm

GameOn wrote:The guy I always try to target in drafts is Ryan Freel. He has 2B/3B/OF eligibility, which allows you to carry one less infielder on your roster in favor of an extra bigger bat (OF or 1B) or a pitcher. I also play mostly leagues that include OBP or BB, so Freel is an excellent player for these leagues because he not only racks up SBs but he also gets on base much better than any other speedster in the league.

The only knock on him last time out was playing time, in his super-utility role. If he's gonna be a regular starter, he'll be good value.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Pedantic » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:33 pm

BritSox wrote:

The only knock on him last time out was playing time, in his super-utility role. If he's gonna be a regular starter, he'll be good value.

I'll bet he starts; the real question with Freel is his health.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby AmishRakeFight2005 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:09 pm

Dan Meyer-Oaktown
Amish Rake Fight 2005, 2007 Northern Lights Baseball Champs
AmishRakeFight2005
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -28)

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:43 pm

BritSox wrote:

I've come to realise that injuries are almost a certainty. Think of it this way, if ANYONE on the Reds gets hurt (besides the C), Freel will get playing time. If he is healthy, he will get 450 at bats at least. The Reds would be crazy to start Womack over him, but then again.....they are the Reds.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:46 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:I'll throw a couple Brewers out there that I feel I have a good grasp for. I won't name Davis or Weeks, those guys should be well on the radar for fantasy players who know what they're doing. A couple that I look at:

SS JJ Hardy -- It's easy to look at his season stats and be down on him, but look at his splits:

Pre All-Star -- .187 AVG, 1 HR, 19 RBI (187 AB)
Post All-Star -- .308 AVG, 8 HR, 31 RBI (185 AB)

Keep in mind that this is a guy who basically had no AAA experience due to an injury and an organizational need for a SS. He started in Milwaukee fresh off an injury that ended his only AAA season the year before, and looked clearly tentative to test his shoulder. Once he found a rhythm, he looked great, driving the ball to the gaps with authority. Now, he won't be splitting time with Bill Hall as he did last year, as Billy should be the starting 3B. He would be a guy I'd be looking at in decent size leagues (nothing under 12 teams).

SP David Bush -- He seems like the exact kind of player that Mike Maddux can turn into an excellent pitcher. Another former Blue Jay (a la Doug Davis) who has the right mix of mound presence, mentality, and stuff to get a lot out of Maddux's tutelage. I like him more than Ohka and possibly Capuano this year. He has to earn his spot in the rotation first, due to Helling's fantastic season last year. I think he'll get it though. Another guy to target in deeper leagues, but that's what true sleepers are, right?

Scooter, I think the Brewers are full of potential sleepers. People dismiss them alot, but they are possibly the most underrated organization at the moment.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:04 am

RynMan wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:I'll throw a couple Brewers out there that I feel I have a good grasp for. I won't name Davis or Weeks, those guys should be well on the radar for fantasy players who know what they're doing. A couple that I look at:

SS JJ Hardy -- It's easy to look at his season stats and be down on him, but look at his splits:

Pre All-Star -- .187 AVG, 1 HR, 19 RBI (187 AB)
Post All-Star -- .308 AVG, 8 HR, 31 RBI (185 AB)

Keep in mind that this is a guy who basically had no AAA experience due to an injury and an organizational need for a SS. He started in Milwaukee fresh off an injury that ended his only AAA season the year before, and looked clearly tentative to test his shoulder. Once he found a rhythm, he looked great, driving the ball to the gaps with authority. Now, he won't be splitting time with Bill Hall as he did last year, as Billy should be the starting 3B. He would be a guy I'd be looking at in decent size leagues (nothing under 12 teams).

SP David Bush -- He seems like the exact kind of player that Mike Maddux can turn into an excellent pitcher. Another former Blue Jay (a la Doug Davis) who has the right mix of mound presence, mentality, and stuff to get a lot out of Maddux's tutelage. I like him more than Ohka and possibly Capuano this year. He has to earn his spot in the rotation first, due to Helling's fantastic season last year. I think he'll get it though. Another guy to target in deeper leagues, but that's what true sleepers are, right?

Scooter, I think the Brewers are full of potential sleepers. People dismiss them alot, but they are possibly the most underrated organization at the moment.

I agree, my problem is picking the right ones. I feel there are a bunch of potential big breakouts on the team (for example, the oldest starting IF is 26). This is kind of how I view 12 guys that I consider fantasy prospects right now

Overrated for '06:

Chris Capuano
Derrick Turnbow
Brady Clark
Bill Hall

Underrated for '06:

JJ Hardy
Dave Bush
Rickie Weeks
Doug Davis (always seems to be underrated)

"Right where they should be" for '06

Ben Sheets
Carlos Lee
Prince Fielder
Geoff Jenkins
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

PreviousNext