Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roger Clemens Destination

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roger Clemens Destination

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:51 pm

Peter Gammons thinks the Texas Rangers may be the front runner for Roger Clemens.
On the Rangers chances of getting Clemens, Gammons says, "I wouldn't bet against it". The Red Sox' Larry Lucchino has been in contact with Clemens' agents, the Hendricks brothers, as recently as yesterday, but Gammons thinks it's doubtful the the Red Sox will sign Roger. Jan. 4 - 4:47 pm et

I still don't think he'll sign in Texas. My best guess is that he signs with Houston a month into the season and plays for them down the stretch.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:55 pm

This would be a dream come true and is, IMO, the one signing that would put Texas over the top and make them divisional favorites. I don't care how much money it takes - sign him! :-B
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby LooseCannon » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:06 pm

Well, staying in Texas would probably be a perk for him, I'm not sure how far away the two teams are form eachother, but really it ould be logical to stay in the state in which his house is, right?
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -460)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:07 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:I think he should just retire if he is going to ask for 20 million again. It puts too much of the franchise's money into one player and doesnt allow them to spend on say some offense. If he does return, I dont see him going anywhere but Houston.

Texas has plenty of offense, all they need is pitching - and that's his specialty. :-D

Clemens/Millwood/Eaton/Padilla would be SO much better than any rotation I remember Texas having in a LONG time.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:08 pm

LooseCannon wrote:Well, staying in Texas would probably be a perk for him, I'm not sure how far away the two teams are form eachother, but really it ould be logical to stay in the state in which his house is, right?

Approx 4-5 hour drive, 1.5 hour flight.

I agree that Houston is the frontrunner. Gammons is pretty clueless about most things - everything else I've read seems to point to Houston rather than anyone else. Perhaps he's just driving up his price by using Texas as a bargaining chip.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:01 pm

Texas would be in a great position if they landed Clemens.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:04 pm

Texas would definitely be battling Anaheim for the division and the Indians for the Wild Card if they for some reason can sign Clemens. He will give that rotation some much needed help and give them the stopper they have needed now for about 10 years. I still think he comes back this year and pitches but for Houston in late May.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:06 pm

slomo007 wrote:This would be a dream come true and is, IMO, the one signing that would put Texas over the top and make them divisional favorites.

I obviously disagree.... :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby The Cow » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:16 am

All this talk of Clement and or Arroyo being dealt tells me that maybe, just maybe he finishes his career in Boston.
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers