Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bobby Abreu - Jason Bay - Miguel Cabrera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WhatElse » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:56 pm

Hbj79 wrote:It's stupid to look at the split stats for someone like Abreu who has been dominant for the last 4-6 years. So he had a mediocre half season..... I'll still bet the farm that he goes 30-30.

Maybe he will, but hes passed his prime in terms of age. Bay and Cabrera are young and still havent hit their ceiling, IMO.
Martin, Fielder, Kinsler, Young, Sanchez, Bay, Rios, Burrell, Hawpe. Haren, Halladay, Oswalt, Snell, Schilling.
WhatElse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hbj79 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:02 pm

That migh tbe ok logic if your in a keeper league but for this year Abreu is in a much better park, on a much better team and hasn't shown nearly enough evidence to suggest he's slipping. I can understand taking Bay over Abreu but to take Cabrera over Abreu on that Minor league team in that pitchers park would be crazy.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)

Postby dannahann » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:06 pm

WhatElse wrote:
Hbj79 wrote:It's stupid to look at the split stats for someone like Abreu who has been dominant for the last 4-6 years. So he had a mediocre half season..... I'll still bet the farm that he goes 30-30.

Maybe he will, but hes passed his prime in terms of age. Bay and Cabrera are young and still havent hit their ceiling, IMO.

Abreu isn't really all that old. He's 31 right now, a year older than ARod and no one is avoiding him in keepers. Sure Bay (27 yrs old) and especially Cabrera (22) are younger but ignoring Abreu might be premature?
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Jbyrdo » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:33 am

Saying Abreu plays in a better park doesn't factor in that much. He played in a better park last year too and his numbers still aren't as good as Bay's.
Jbyrdo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Ender » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:01 am

.289 avg, 31 HR, 36 SB, 118 R, 110 RBI
.308 avg, 20 HR, 31 SB, 102 R, 85 RBI
.300 avg, 20 HR, 22 SB, 99 R, 101 RBI
.301 avg, 30 HR, 40 SB, 118 R, 105 RBI
.286 avg, 24 HR, 31 SB, 104 R, 102 RBI

I don't know how you can look at those 5 years and think Abreu does not deserve to be a 1st round pick. Yes he's not a 30 HR guy every year but you really do know what you are going to get, 40-70 HR+SB, an above average average and 200-230 R+RBI is nothing to sneeze at and few players top that consistantly if any.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:13 am

Snakes Gould wrote:NO NO NO NO NO NO....abreu stinks in real life....bottom line....he doesnt hustle, he doesnt steal bases when the game matters and hes one of the worst fielders ive ever seen in my life. the fact he won a gold glove makes the award absolutely worthless for the rest of its existance. His numbers are a farce. i would trade him for any other big name star in the majors. manny, tejada, prior all rumored for abreu, id do it in a heartbeat.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/569 ... Av3Mr_Legh

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/569 ... NhVh6FCLcF

Abreu stinks? He hit better with runners on last year and career. And he did well in close & late.

Abreu in a down year only created 3 less runs then Tejada, while sporting a better ops+ and rc/27. Tejada has only topped Abreu's career averages once in rc/27, and never in ops+. And you guys think Tejada is worth Abreu plus a sp?

I don't put too much in Abreus 2nd half. His hit rate % was lower then usual.

I would still take Cabrera 1st, Bay 2nd however, due to the fact both are on upswings, especially in the decreased G/F ratio, suggesting a power spike.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers