Return to Baseball Leftovers

PELFRY AND HOCHEVAR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PELFRY AND HOCHEVAR

Postby coleminer » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:37 pm

I believe these are the last unsigned top draft picks from 2005.

Does the Upton signing do anything for or against these top pitching prospects to sign? Last I saw with Hochevar was a $1.5M difference for a signing bonus ($4M vs $2.5M) ...

also does anyone have more info on the agent hiring/firing and almost signing from the fall - has he or Boras said anyhting in public about it afterwards? Thanks!
coleminer
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:32 pm

Minaya and Boras just started negotiations for Pelfrey several days ago.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby hybrid » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:09 am

I think the Upton signing helps move the Pelfrey deal a bit closer, since he was considered one of the top talents. Hochevar however since he was drafted later on, there is just more to it that I don't see either side coming to an agreement on. My guess is he will re-enter the draft like a certain Rice pitcher did last year, though I think he needs to suck it up and just sign ... this waiting for another draft will just hurt his career.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:39 pm

Pelfrey signed. 4-year major league contract. $3.5M signing bonus.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby hybrid » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:31 pm

Amazinz wrote:Pelfrey signed. 4-year major league contract. $3.5M signing bonus.

Nice, at least you can count on the Mets to not be picky with the money these days. Will be interesting to see how Pelfrey performs this upcoming year, I personally like the kid a bunch.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Return to Baseball Leftovers