Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jays trade Koskie to Brewers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jays trade Koskie to Brewers

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:25 am

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have acquired minor league RHP Brian Wolfe from the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for 3B COREY KOSKIE.
WOLFE, 25, posted a 5-2 record with eight saves in 2005 while pitching for Brevard County of the Florida State League (A), New Britain of the Eastern League (AA) and Huntsville of the Southern League(AA). In 39 games, the 6-2, 200lb. native of Fulton, California recorded 23 walks and 45 strikeouts in 51 1/3 innings, allowing just one home run. Since his sixth round selection by the Minnesota Twins in the 1999 First Year Player Draft, WOLFE has a career record of 41-37 with 11 saves and an ERA of 4.08 in 176 games, 86 starts.

KOSKIE, 32, appeared in 97 games for Toronto last season and batted .249 with 20 doubles, 11 home runs and 36 RBI. The 6-3, 225lb. left-handed hitter from Anola, Manitoba was on the disabled list from May 20 to July 26 after suffering a fractured right thumb. In eight Major League seasons, KOSKIE has appeared in 913 games and collected 200 doubles, 112 home runs and 473 RBI while batting .277.

Don't know much about Wolfe, but this certainly free's up some cap space. Any Brewer fans have insight on Wolfe?
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -710)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:29 am

We both posted this trade at almost exactly the same time, I deleted mine.. :-b

Not all the details are out yet, but I'm assuming the Brewers picked up some, if not all, of Koskie's contract.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Re: Jays trade Koskie

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:31 am

go_jays_go wrote:
The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have acquired minor league RHP Brian Wolfe from the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for 3B COREY KOSKIE.
WOLFE, 25, posted a 5-2 record with eight saves in 2005 while pitching for Brevard County of the Florida State League (A), New Britain of the Eastern League (AA) and Huntsville of the Southern League(AA). In 39 games, the 6-2, 200lb. native of Fulton, California recorded 23 walks and 45 strikeouts in 51 1/3 innings, allowing just one home run. Since his sixth round selection by the Minnesota Twins in the 1999 First Year Player Draft, WOLFE has a career record of 41-37 with 11 saves and an ERA of 4.08 in 176 games, 86 starts.

KOSKIE, 32, appeared in 97 games for Toronto last season and batted .249 with 20 doubles, 11 home runs and 36 RBI. The 6-3, 225lb. left-handed hitter from Anola, Manitoba was on the disabled list from May 20 to July 26 after suffering a fractured right thumb. In eight Major League seasons, KOSKIE has appeared in 913 games and collected 200 doubles, 112 home runs and 473 RBI while batting .277.

Don't know much about Wolfe, but this certainly free's up some cap space. Any Brewer fans have insight on Wolfe?

I don't know anything about Wolfe, but after looking at his numbers, he really isn't anything more than a "C or D" pitching prospect. Ricciardi had said earlier this week that it really didn't matter what they got back for Koskie as long as they got some of his salary off the books.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:36 am

mweir145 wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:

I don't know anything about Wolfe, but after looking at his numbers, he really isn't anything more than a "C or D" pitching prospect. Ricciardi had said earlier this week that it really didn't matter what they got back for Koskie as long as they got some of his salary off the books.

I figured that would happen. Hopefully they took all of his contract. So this leads to a different question, what will the Jays do next?

I wish Koskie all the best in his future with the Brewers. B-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -710)

Postby Hornsby » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:42 am

will Koskie take over 3B for MIL? Does he jump
over B Hill, R Branyan, and/or J Cirillo?
Last edited by Hornsby on Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hornsby
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:42 am

The bigger question for me is why the heck does the Brewers want Koskie?
I hope they don't bench Hall
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby Lime » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:48 am

I have no idea why Milwaukee made this trade, but thanks for taking Koskie off our hands!

Granted, I've yet to hear how much of the remaining contract each team takes.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -19)

Postby Half Massed » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:48 am

Koskie should do pretty well if he stays healthy. He gives the Brewers some decent lefty power.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:51 am

go_jays_go wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:

I figured that would happen. Hopefully they took all of his contract. So this leads to a different question, what will the Jays do next?

I wish Koskie all the best in his future with the Brewers. B-)

There has been some talk of a Bengie Molina signing if the price goes low enough, and also a few rumours of a possible Craig Wilson deal. Other than those 2 possibilities at the moment, I don't really see much other than some minor tinkering to the lineup that's on J.P's agenda.

I still think they should have given Koskie another chance, and tried to trade away Hillenbrand or Hinske, but I guess that's just me.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:09 am

i'm sure melvin felt sorry about the overbay trade and decided to take koskie off the jays hands. :-b

i guess this is an okay trade if MIL picked up most of his salary...too bad the only canadian on the team is now gone...where's simon pond? :-o
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers