Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jays trade Koskie to Brewers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:46 pm

AmishRakeFight2005 wrote:
Ender wrote:Early reports are they ate about half of it, but those aren't official.

If the Jays bomb this year, JP's head will roll.

It probably wasn't half because they weren't willing to pay for for half when they were discussing with the Twins.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -710)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:12 pm

GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:50 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Appears to be more than half..

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/fil ... blue_jays/

This is what the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal online was reporting too. I would post the link, but it's one of those annoying ones where you have to register.

Overall, I think this is the kind of a move a team thinking about contending makes. Koskie essentially becomes insurance for the entire infield. Since he can play first and third, and Billy can play 2B, 3B, and SS, you have interchangable parts to help the kids through the almost inevitable rough stretches. Hall will still get his 400 odd AB, which is still a good amount. He'll start at 3rd against lefties, or when Koskie spells Fielder (although Corey Hart may also have that role). Otherwise, he'll play at SS and 2B, and they have been toying around with CF too. Overall it gives the team great IF depth with Fielder-Hart-Weeks-Hardy-Koskie-Cirillo-Branyan (although I anticipate him being traded).
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby stevethumb » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:13 pm

seems like a very good deal for the brewers if the jays are going to pay over half his salary but if the jays use the savings on benjie molina then it will be good for both sides
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Postby Hbj79 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:15 pm

It had been reported that they had been willing to pay 3.5 of the 11.5 million dollar contract when talking to the twins. It now appears that was wrong. Good deal for the Brewers. It will be fine if Toronto can sign Molina.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:39 pm

If Clemens doesn't return to the Astros, I actually think the Brewers have a legit shot at 2nd place.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:40 pm

davidmarver wrote:If Clemens doesn't return to the Astros, I actually think the Brewers have a legit shot at 2nd place.

They'll compete, but I still think Houston and the Cubs have a better team.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:49 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:If Clemens doesn't return to the Astros, I actually think the Brewers have a legit shot at 2nd place.

They'll compete, but I still think Houston and the Cubs have a better team.

Oh, I agree...I think Houston has a slightly better team than the Brewers without the Rocket, but I think the Brewers are going to finish 5+ games ahead of Chicago.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby stevethumb » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:08 pm

bsheets---roswalt
ddavis---apettitte
capuano---bbacke
tokha---wrodriquez
dbush---eastacio..................advantage brewers
bullpen---advantage astros
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:34 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:I see it this way guys. Billy is still the starter at 3rd. I think he plays the majority of his games there. However, I also see a guy in Hall who is capable of replacing a couple of really young middle infielders (Weeks, Hardy) when/if they slump or just for days off. So what you have in Koskie is a serious bench upgrade (a bigtime weakness last year until Fielder was called up), and a guy who will probably start 40-50 games at 3rd. Give Cirillo 10 starts or so too, and I'm guessing Branyan is gone for some relief pitching. Hall will get his ABs -- this is a guy who can play 3rd, SS, and 2nd with near equal skill, plus he's been tooling around learning to play CF. I wouldn't bump him too far down your cheatsheets based on this trade.

If I'm wrong, and Koskie starts at 3rd, Billy will still get his. He wasn't a starter last year either and he had 501 AB. A guy that versatile and talented seems to find his way into the lineup nearly everyday.

I think it's a good deal for the Brew -- Koskie (or Hall) is the best bench player we've had in years. We gave up a nothing 25 year old AA reliever, a fringe prospect at absolute best. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal, the Jays picked up over half the contract too. A good move in my book.

Agree with this post. Another nice move by the Brewers. Gives them some bench depth. Cirillo/Branyan was not much of a threat off the bench. I think Branyan is gone. It does hurt Hall's fantasy value. He was looking like a nice late round pick up as a starter who would get 500 plus AB, but this downgraded him to a super utility role with probably 400AB. I also think Koskie is going to also be in that 400 AB category.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -24)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers