Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jays trade Koskie to Brewers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cannonarm21 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:58 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Koskie be the everyday 3B when the season starts, as well as hitting fairly high in the lineup. Jenkins and Fielder are the only left handed hitters in the lineup. I am not sure how comfortable I'd be seeing Fielder hitting 3-4-5 yet. I could see Koskie taking the same role as Overbay and the lineup against righties being Jenkins-Lee-Koskie.

I am not convinced Hall is an everyday player. Hall did have a real good first half last year, but really cooled off towards the end. 12 of his 17 HR came in the first half. 10 of those he hit in a 30 game span.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:10 pm

Blair reports the Jays are picking up 6 million of Koskie's salary, eh?
Well, I guess that begs the question of why not just get rid of Hillenbrand, who will make about 5 million this year, (either by non-tendering him, or trading him for a player of value), and in turn, keeping Koskie as the primary DH, and bench 3B. I guess it all came down to who Ricciardi thought was more valuable to this team, and he picked Hillenbrand. I'm not sure I really agree with this, but it does save the Jays about 5 million, which they can spend on a FA (like Molina) or a trade in July.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:19 pm

Hbj79 wrote:It had been reported that they had been willing to pay 3.5 of the 11.5 million dollar contract when talking to the twins. It now appears that was wrong. Good deal for the Brewers. It will be fine if Toronto can sign Molina.

From what I'm reading right now, the Twins weren't interested in Koskie at all. Though I'm not sure why they wouldn't have been if the Jays were offering 6 million as part of the deal. They could have essentially had Koskie for 2 years/5M, it looks like Ryan may have missed the ball here.

This is the 2nd great deal this off-season for Melvin off the Jays. Getting Koskie, a productive offensive player with great defense when healthy at only 5 million for basically nothing (Wolfe), and getting what looks to be 3 future major league players for Overbay and a prospect. He's doing a great job for the Brewers, and I'll certainly follow them this year with all of those former Jays.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:57 am

mweir145 wrote:
Hbj79 wrote:It had been reported that they had been willing to pay 3.5 of the 11.5 million dollar contract when talking to the twins. It now appears that was wrong. Good deal for the Brewers. It will be fine if Toronto can sign Molina.

From what I'm reading right now, the Twins weren't interested in Koskie at all. Though I'm not sure why they wouldn't have been if the Jays were offering 6 million as part of the deal. They could have essentially had Koskie for 2 years/5M, it looks like Ryan may have missed the ball here.

This is the 2nd great deal this off-season for Melvin off the Jays. Getting Koskie, a productive offensive player with great defense when healthy at only 5 million for basically nothing (Wolfe), and getting what looks to be 3 future major league players for Overbay and a prospect. He's doing a great job for the Brewers, and I'll certainly follow them this year with all of those former Jays.

Agreed. I will be watching the Brewers very closely this year as I think that they are a great up and coming team. Best of luck in 2006 Brew-Crew. ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -710)

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:00 am

go_jays_go wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Agreed. I will be watching the Brewers very closely this year as I think that they are a great up and coming team. Best of luck in 2006 Brew-Crew. ;-D

Same to the Jays. Overbay is a class act who the Jay fans will come to embrace as a great member of the Toronto community. I was pleased with the trades, but I will miss Overbay. He was a defininte fan favorite. Keep the "OOOOO" chants alive. I will be following the Jays all year to see how "O" and the team is doing. After all the Melvin/Riccardi wheeling and dealing, how could I not?
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:33 pm

davidmarver wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:If Clemens doesn't return to the Astros, I actually think the Brewers have a legit shot at 2nd place.

They'll compete, but I still think Houston and the Cubs have a better team.

Oh, I agree...I think Houston has a slightly better team than the Brewers without the Rocket, but I think the Brewers are going to finish 5+ games ahead of Chicago.

This is the year that St. Louis takes a big step back. We might see Houston and Milwaukee compete for the NL central.

As to this trade, I see more as insurance for Fielder than anyone else. It's his first full season in the big leagues, and we can expect an up and down year imo.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -16)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:37 pm

These are intriguing developments. As painful as it is, I can kind of see the Cubs having a hard time of it this year. Do you Brewers' fans think that they might keep on trading? It seems like they are having a surplus of CI too and, while Hall is good, why would they keep him AND Koskie? I can't see TX having any interest if they are looking for something to flip in this Wilkerson business but why keep a young dude w/ a bat like Hall hanging around playing part time? :-?

I was interested in Hall for the positional versitility but, if he's gonna get less PT, I'm not as interested. Thanks!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby Brewhaus » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:28 pm

I just read in the Wisconsin State Journal that the Brewers will pay about 36% of Koskie's salary. Sounds like a good trade for the Brewers.
Brewhaus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:45 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:These are intriguing developments. As painful as it is, I can kind of see the Cubs having a hard time of it this year. Do you Brewers' fans think that they might keep on trading? It seems like they are having a surplus of CI too and, while Hall is good, why would they keep him AND Koskie? I can't see TX having any interest if they are looking for something to flip in this Wilkerson business but why keep a young dude w/ a bat like Hall hanging around playing part time? :-?

I was interested in Hall for the positional versitility but, if he's gonna get less PT, I'm not as interested. Thanks!!

I think Melvin would have to be blown away to trade Hall. His versatility, power, and speed make him invaluable. It's amazing how much of a leap he made just by improving his approach and plate discipline. Hall, I believe, will hardly be a part-time player. I think he'll still be getting 400-450 AB. He was quoted in the Journal-Sentinal as saying they were going to try to get him 500 AB this year. I don't know if he can get that, but he did get 501 last year even though he was never really an official starter anywhere. I see a guy like Branyan more likely to be gone than Hall.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:48 pm

cool, I will keep my eyes on him then! Thanks for the tip!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers