Return to Baseball Leftovers

Todd Helton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Todd Helton

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:24 pm

I've been hearing people praising Todd Helton and I've seen him drafted as early as 2nd round in mocks. My question is...why?

I mean, I understand he finished with really good numbers, but good enough to justify ranking him over other 1B options like Derrek Lee, Travis Hafner, Carlos Delgado, Lance Berkman, etc.? His average is nice, but his power never really showed up last year and he didn't even break 80 RBIs. Yet I still see him ranked as the 4th/5th 1B on multiple sheets.

Why is Helton getting so much love?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:40 pm

Because he's proven he can be a 1st round caliber player in the past, and he absolutely tore it up the last 2 months.

Helton should be a top 5 1B this year.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby smoovethug » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:55 pm

I agree Helton is a stud. As early as the 2nd round?? That's not early at all IMO, where do you project him to go? He usually goes late 1st early 2nd in my 10 teamer, anything after that to me is a steal. He's a consistent threat for .300/30/100.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -271)

Postby stevethumb » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:08 pm

top 3 or 4 in the NL at his pos and certainly top 24 in a mixed league so that is definitely 2nd rd material...draft him in the mid to late 2nd rd and be very happy
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:09 pm

Maybe I'm just really down on him. How is he a top 5 first baseman? How is he better than Carlos Delgado?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Hbj79 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:13 pm

I would pay more for Helton than some of the guys you have mentioned simply because he is the guy who may very well hit .330 and I think that avg. is the hardest stat. to come by. You can always find power from players who hit .260-.285. Delgado certainly isn't a lock to hit .300.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)

Postby stevethumb » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:17 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Maybe I'm just really down on him. How is he a top 5 first baseman? How is he better than Carlos Delgado?
...close call on delgado that's why i said top 3 or 4 (after pujols and lee)..delgado will get a few more HRs and RBIs but helton's BA and his 4-5 SBs even up their value..if your league counts runs then helton is an even better value
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:22 pm

As currently stands, I have Helton 6th/7th in my rankings.

1. Albert Pujols
2. Mark Teixiera
3. David Ortiz
4. Derrek Lee
5. Travis Hafner (if you want to count him at 1B, I do.)
6. Carlos Delgado
7. Todd Helton
8. Lance Berkman

I did have Berkman over him too for a long time but recently swapped them. Am I way off here?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Hbj79 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:28 pm

I would probably drop hafner to the bottom of that group. I would also put Helton and Berkman ahead of Delgado (he is a Met now). They are all pretty close.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:31 pm

Hbj79 wrote:I would probably drop hafner to the bottom of that group. I would also put Helton and Berkman ahead of Delgado (he is a Met now). They are all pretty close.

:-? I'm expecting huge numbers from Hafner this year. I think he has the potential to hit 40 homeruns and drive in 120 runs if he stays healthy. Should have a good batting average too.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'he is a Met now' pertaining to Delgado. They have a great lineup this year. He'll have Reyes, Beltran and Wright hitting in front of him and Floyd and Lo Duca behind.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers