Return to Baseball Leftovers

Todd Helton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Hbj79 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:44 pm

Clearly you aren't familiar with Mets disease. Mostly it's a lousy ball park. I think he will have a hard time hitting over .290 although his other numbers should be solid. I also think that Helton will hit .325. So I see that .035 difference in avg. making Helton much more valuable.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:47 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:As currently stands, I have Helton 6th/7th in my rankings.

1. Albert Pujols
2. Mark Teixiera
3. David Ortiz
4. Derrek Lee
5. Travis Hafner (if you want to count him at 1B, I do.)
6. Carlos Delgado
7. Todd Helton
8. Lance Berkman

I agree with your rankings with Hafner. If you are going to count him at 1st I would put him 5th. I would however move Delgado to 4th and drop Lee to 6th. I just dont see him doing it again. I do think Delgado will put up monster numbers with the Mets.
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

Postby Hbj79 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:09 pm

Maybe my mind has just gone blank but I can't remember the last time I heard "Monster numbers" and "The Mets" put together.

Oh wait....that Beltran guy....
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 4)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:10 pm

I have Helton over the Berkman and Delgado connection due to BA mainly. I love the fact that Helton can hit .330+ for my fantasy teams.

1. Pujols
2. Tex
3. Ortiz
4. Hafner
5. Helton
6. Lee
7. Berkman
7. Delgado

Even though Berkman and Delgado are ranked 7th on 1b lists, they are still ranked pretty high on my overall lists, which goes to show the strength of the first base/DH position at the top.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby kentx12 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:21 pm

Hbj79 wrote:Maybe my mind has just gone blank but I can't remember the last time I heard "Monster numbers" and "The Mets" put together.

Beltran and Delgado are 2 different type players imo. I dont really expect Delgado to hit for a high avg. " he never really has " but I do believe in that lineup he will get plenty or Rbi's, Hr's and score alot of runs. He is leaving a pretty good pitchers park so that really shouldnt affect him much and I believe the lineup around him will be great.
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:03 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:I have Helton over the Berkman and Delgado connection due to BA mainly. I love the fact that Helton can hit .330+ for my fantasy teams.

1. Pujols
2. Tex
3. Ortiz
4. Hafner
5. Helton
6. Lee
7. Berkman
7. Delgado

Even though Berkman and Delgado are ranked 7th on 1b lists, they are still ranked pretty high on my overall lists, which goes to show the strength of the first base/DH position at the top.

I guess I see your point. Batting average is a more scarce stat than the typical power numbers that Delgado or Konerko would deliver, so I can see where Helton's value comes from. I'll probably bump him up a little in my rankings.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby biju » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm a little surprised by the ranking Derrek Lee so far. I think he's going to go *way* too high for my blood.

In this case, I'd much rather take Helton than Lee. Of course that's subject to when I can get them, but I'm expecting someone to severely reach and be disappointed.

I'm also not sold on Travis Hafner and Delgado's move to the Mets is going to hurt his value.

I guess I only see Pujols and Tex having more value (I don't think Ortiz has eligibility in my league for 1B).

I do think Berkman might end up having a good year though.
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DK » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:33 pm

Hbj79 wrote:Maybe my mind has just gone blank but I can't remember the last time I heard "Monster numbers" and "The Mets" put together.

Because, you know, any two players who go to the same team in consecutive years must perform at the exact same level.

It's science.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:41 am

biju wrote:I'm a little surprised by the ranking Derrek Lee so far. I think he's going to go *way* too high for my blood.

In this case, I'd much rather take Helton than Lee. Of course that's subject to when I can get them, but I'm expecting someone to severely reach and be disappointed.

I'm also not sold on Travis Hafner and Delgado's move to the Mets is going to hurt his value.

I guess I only see Pujols and Tex having more value (I don't think Ortiz has eligibility in my league for 1B).

I do think Berkman might end up having a good year though.

Been suprised as well that Lee is rated as high. If you plan on Lee hitting .270 with 30 HRs and 10 SBS, which is very good, than go ahead and draft him. but I think he's going way too high for those numbers, and would much rather have a Helton at my 1B position than Lee.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby rlee » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:56 am

A couple of comments made here that I don't get:
1. Many of you have knocked Delgado because of the move to Shea. His power numbers held last year in Fla., and that is a slightly worse park for hitters than Shea. I don't see his power being affected by the move at all.

2. Lee had his monster year last year, but "only" had 107 RBIs. With the addition of Pierre, now hitting ahead of him, and Ramirez behind him to protect him, I don't see a drastic fall off. If his BA drops a bit, his RBI ability should be better.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers