Return to Baseball Leftovers

Todd Helton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby djacks » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:32 pm

Well here's how one owner in my keeper league views Todd Helton...he just traded Helton straight up for Justin Morneau... 8-o

...then again nobody has ever accused this owner of being very intelligent with his trades.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:45 pm

Shea favors left-handed power. Something to keep in mind.

I'd take Helton before Delgado though. I'd be incredibly happy to get Helton in the 2nd round.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:36 pm

Helton is #5 in my 5x5 first baseman rankings. I have Pujols, Teixeria, Ortiz (DH), and Lee ahead of him.

Only turing 32 in 2006, Helton is only two seasons removed from batting .359 with 135 runs, 33 HRs, and 117 RBIs. So long as he's still on The Good Lord's good side (inside joke with myself...Helton is on my All Bible team), Helton will crush again in Coors.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Ender » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:40 pm

While I'm a big Helton fan you have to keep in mind he only gets between 500-550 AB's most likely in that lineup which is going to hurt the value of his avg some. Thats what makes guys like Suzuki so nice they bring you 650-700 AB's of high average.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:13 pm

Even if he has less at-bats than the top of the order guys Helton's average is still really valuable. He offers a solid average at 1b along with power. The only 1b that will be able to touch him in both cats is Pujols. Hafner, Delgado, Ortiz and Tex will beat him in power but he'll still be ahead of them in average. Also, the supporting cast around him is one year older and more experienced so hopefully his runs and RBI's will go up.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -1)

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:53 pm

1st half:

D.Lee 308 66 25 67 10 0.3766

Helton 295 41 9 38 2 0.2814

2nd half:

D.Lee 286 54 21 40 5 0.2902

Helton 214 51 11 41 1 0.3738

I'm thinking the tried and true Helton will be back in 2006, whereas Lee has more of a history reflecting his second half....

I'm not as big on Lee for 2006 as most seem to be. :-o
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:49 pm

I am thinking the roid boy will continue to be way overrated. I can't see any justification for picking Helton over either Delgado or Berkman. Delgado if healthy has proven he can hit anywhere. Berkman is a stud. All Helton is a de-roided slugger on a very bad team with absolutely no protection in his lineup.

144 games...509 ABs 20 Hrs and 79 rbis from a 1b? That rates over Berkman and Delgado?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:55 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I am thinking the roid boy will continue to be way overrated. I can't see any justification for picking Helton over either Delgado or Berkman. Delgado if healthy has proven he can hit anywhere. Berkman is a stud. All Helton is a de-roided slugger on a very bad team with absolutely no protection in his lineup.

144 games...509 ABs 20 Hrs and 79 rbis from a 1b? That rates over Berkman and Delgado?

...and we have the least thoughtful arguement of the day ;-D .
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby JTWood » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:49 pm

Helton will be good, though not as good as he can be with protection. I would expect a ~.300 season with 30 HRs and less RBI than those numbers should garner because of the squad around him.

I think he'll be no worse than D. Lee.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Re: Todd Helton

Postby SilentReader » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:17 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:I've been hearing people praising Todd Helton and I've seen him drafted as early as 2nd round in mocks. My question is...why?

I mean, I understand he finished with really good numbers, but good enough to justify ranking him over other 1B options like Derrek Lee, Travis Hafner, Carlos Delgado, Lance Berkman, etc.? His average is nice, but his power never really showed up last year and he didn't even break 80 RBIs. Yet I still see him ranked as the 4th/5th 1B on multiple sheets.

Why is Helton getting so much love?

You base your whole argument on what he did "last year."

There's 2 things wrong with that:

1. Don't look at last year as a whole, but the 2nd half of the year, since he was plagued by injuries in the first half. During the 2nd half, he was virtually the same Helton as in previous years, which leads me to

2. Don't just look at previous year's stats! If you look at his career numbers, every year he has been awesome.

Look at what he did during his years before last year, and during the 2nd half of last year, not on the first half of last year, and you will have a much more positive outlook on Helton. He's not the monster he was when he was at his peak, but he's not far off.
i don't post much,but i'm always lurking...

best fantasy games site = SandboxPlus.com!!
SilentReader
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers