Return to Baseball Leftovers

Young Boppers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Young Boppers

Postby reynolds80 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:48 pm

In no particular order, here's my list of top youngsters who I think will rake in 06, although they aren't known as superstars yet.. I'd like to hear some opinions on these guys.. Feel free to add your own names..

Ryan Howard
Jonny Gomes
Prince Fielder
Nick Swisher
Jeremy Hermida
Wily Mo Pena
Last edited by reynolds80 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:59 pm

Well, since the Pirates traded for Sean Casey, Eldred is going to start the season in Triple-A, so he won't be raking in the bigs for a while (probably the whole year, honestly).
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby reynolds80 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:02 am

mak1277 wrote:Well, since the Pirates traded for Sean Casey, Eldred is going to start the season in Triple-A, so he won't be raking in the bigs for a while (probably the whole year, honestly).

What, Eldred's not moving to the outfield? I heard he could really move around out there in left. (not really)

Yeah, I forgot about the Casey trade.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pokey » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:30 am

I'm not that sold on Swisher, but one name I'd add to the list is Jhonny Peralta, I think he's gonna be huge.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby reynolds80 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:59 am

Did you guys happen to notice Hermida's projected 2006 line in the Bill James annual? It looked like Abreu: .300, 30-30, 120 walks.

Needless to say I'm interested.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Koko B Ware » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:51 am

I think if Willie Mo can stay healthy all year, he will be a BEAST!
Check out his stats from '04 '05

647 AB 45 HR 117 RBI

He is currently number one on the depth chart, so I see no reason it will change unless he gets hurt

I am also high on Gomes too, he has mashed everywhere he's been
Koko B Ware
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AmishRakeFight2005 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:10 am

Pokey wrote:I'm not that sold on Swisher, but one name I'd add to the list is Jhonny Peralta, I think he's gonna be huge.

Agreed. He was IL player of the year in 04 and had a great 05 season. Lets see if he can build on that.
Amish Rake Fight 2005, 2007 Northern Lights Baseball Champs
AmishRakeFight2005
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -28)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:58 am

Koko B Ware wrote:I think if Willie Mo can stay healthy all year, he will be a BEAST!
Check out his stats from '04 '05

647 AB 45 HR 117 RBI

He is currently number one on the depth chart, so I see no reason it will change unless he gets hurt

I am also high on Gomes too, he has mashed everywhere he's been

he seems to get hurt pretty regularly and is a 'known' commodity so I think that he'll be drafted pretty early on. I think that IF he's healthy he'll be great but his PT has always been a bit thin for my tastes. I guess there's room for him this year though?

I am most intrigued by Hermidia, Fielder and Swisher at this point.

Baseball Forecaster pointed out that Swisher had an atypically low h% that should normalize to bring his avg up and that his other peripheral #s were also indicative of progress. And, the less than stellar #s LAST year will push his draft or auction value down.

Hermidia appears to be poised for job as the Marlins seemed to have moved Pierre and Conine to make a spot him. I am going to watch that but I think that he showed some potential in an admittedly short look. He will be off of most people's charts in our league I think, unless ESPN profiles him or something. BF suggested his bb% has been 'Bondsian' 8-o. Worth a late round flyer IMHO.

I am kind of wobbly on Fielder. Mostly b/c of the position though. Part of me wants to just grab an elite 1B early on but part of me thinks that he could be 30 thrifty HR later on. It will depend how the draft plays out and where I end up picking I suppose but I think that he'll be a better than average 1B available pretty late in the draft, when other guys are looking to fill out IF or SP positions.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers