Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adrian Beltre and steroids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sockeye » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:38 pm

I am always a little skeptical of the weights listed for players anyway -how do they get these? Does it comes straight from the team's training room? I somehow doubt that it's very rigorous.

I could easily see a situation where they just repeat the weight in some spring training program ("Meet your 1997 LA Dodgers, featuring ROY candidate Adrian Beltre!") for a few years, then update it. Who really knows? It could sure account for a lot of a 55 lb gain.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannahann » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:27 pm

I think it's lazy reporting for the most part. Not saying he wasn't juicing but I saw enough of him in 2002 and 2003 to believe he was probably 200 pounds+ in those seasons too.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby giants! » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:05 pm

Dont immediately yell steroids, he moved to a lineup where he had no protection and one of the worst parks in the league while having to learn new pitching. A drop off season should have been expected by all.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -157)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:36 pm

giants! wrote:Dont immediately yell steroids, he moved to a lineup where he had no protection and one of the worst parks in the league while having to learn new pitching. A drop off season should have been expected by all.

Sure. ;-D ;-D

Sexson's 39 homers and 121 RBIs were just not enough protection for the big guy. :-D :-D
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby crapshooter » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:52 pm

Whatever the problem was he sucked last year and I paid $40 for the privilidge of watching. I won't keep him this year and I doubt if he will over 20.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -38)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:54 pm

Nah, he was using flax seed oil.

If there is a a clearer case of a contract year roider I do not know of one.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:11 pm

I dunno, the numbers involved ARE odd BUT, I have to think that having botched appendix surgery would be worse for one, at least in the short term, than 'roids which are not totally without medical uses themselves.

I don't think that it's necessary to know for sure whether it was the surgery or 'roids or maybe he got a big screen and an xbox or something that nobody knew about? It is important to know that he's not really dependable and has pretty much no value in a stacked position because of it.

But, of course, he may still be worth keeping an eye on...just in case... 8-o :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers