Return to Baseball Leftovers

Starting a keeper league and need your help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting a keeper league and need your help

Postby cards05 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:56 pm

I am commissioner of a league in which several members, including myself, have expressed interest in making the redraft league a keeper league. I wanted advice on details to make the league better. Such as, what is an appropriate number of players to keep each year? Do you recommend penalties for keeping players a certain number of years? Have you tried using a small "minor league" roster comprised of prospects? Even if its just your personal opinion, let me know the settings/rules for a typical keeper league that you find optimal. Also, is there a website that has articles on this kind of thing?
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 449
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:10 pm

You're at the right place ;-D
Some leagues use a standard # of keepers. I don't like that philosophy because there are never any good players left for redraft. What I do, guys are given a salary based on the round they were orignally drafted in. The 1st round was $25, the 2nd $24...to $5. A players salary goes up according to the # of years he was kept (so Pujols $25+2 since this is his 2nd year kept) will cost $27 this season.
The salary cap is 5 players $65. Now salaries for players you want to hold on to increase exponentially every season, but the salary cap stays the same! So you can keep your stud and some young guys, or some balance...it's up to you. But it adds some stars back into the redraft pool, so I lilke this way.

Players picked up off FA are $5, and if you claim a rookie off waivers when he's added to Yahoo, he only costs $2. One guy has Wright for $4 and Felix for $2 heading into this season :-o
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11790
(Past Year: -1076)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:20 pm

I like to keep it simple whenever possible.

My keeper league is a dynasty league. Based on where they finish, owners get to keep between 23 and 27 players. You have to be intelligent and aware of young talent to be in a dynasty keeper league.

We also don't use any kind of contracts or salaries. Instead, we give more minor league spots to the struggling teams than the top teams (ranges from three to seven). This way, a struggling owner can trade say Brian Giles for Felix Pie and Brian McCann and be better off two years down the line.

I think leagues like mine are uncommmon, but I have had a waiting list to get into it every season now and all the owners love it.

As for rules, there is no right answer. Just make sure to sit down or communicate a lot online with owners in order to come up with a solid set of rules before your initial draft.

Good luck ;-D
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2931
(Past Year: -15)
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby cards05 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:24 pm

Thank you very much for the responses. What makes a dynasty league a dynasty league? I assume its the minor league roster, but I probably need clarification.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 449
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:51 pm

cards05 wrote:Thank you very much for the responses. What makes a dynasty league a dynasty league? I assume its the minor league roster, but I probably need clarification.


It's pretty much just when you keep a majority of your team from year to year.

Just about anyone who has been in a dynasty league will vouch that they involve the most strategy and are the most fun. And personally I could never imagine going back to a five keeper league...why not just redraft?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2931
(Past Year: -15)
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:15 pm

shortsavage wrote:
cards05 wrote:Thank you very much for the responses. What makes a dynasty league a dynasty league? I assume its the minor league roster, but I probably need clarification.


It's pretty much just when you keep a majority of your team from year to year.

Just about anyone who has been in a dynasty league will vouch that they involve the most strategy and are the most fun. And personally I could never imagine going back to a five keeper league...why not just redraft?


In my definition, a dynasty is where you keep everyone. And I like the 5 player keeper because it provides a good mix of talent for redraft every season, and doesn't allow one team to dominate every season.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11790
(Past Year: -1076)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:26 pm

bigken117 wrote:
shortsavage wrote:
cards05 wrote:Thank you very much for the responses. What makes a dynasty league a dynasty league? I assume its the minor league roster, but I probably need clarification.


It's pretty much just when you keep a majority of your team from year to year.

Just about anyone who has been in a dynasty league will vouch that they involve the most strategy and are the most fun. And personally I could never imagine going back to a five keeper league...why not just redraft?


In my definition, a dynasty is where you keep everyone. And I like the 5 player keeper because it provides a good mix of talent for redraft every season, and doesn't allow one team to dominate every season.


Minor league depth for weak teams will shift the balance. If you get a good enough group of owners going, your league should not be lopsided enough to allow one owner to win every season.

Keeping only a handful of players is a built in escape for poor planning, thus letting owners get away with being underprepared.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2931
(Past Year: -15)
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby JTWood » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:46 pm

A true dynasty league lets you keep as many people as you want with no penalties or rules. They usually have deep minors systems, and they can be pretty cutthroat, as I understand.

:-o
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11253
(Past Year: -255)
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:56 pm

JTWood wrote:A true dynasty league lets you keep as many people as you want with no penalties or rules. They usually have deep minors systems, and they can be pretty cutthroat, as I understand.

:-o


They just seperate the pretenders from the contenders ;-) .
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2931
(Past Year: -15)
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests