Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you rank for 5x5?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do you rank for 5x5?

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:13 pm

How do you rank players for 5x5 leagues?

I'm a student, so you can throw as complicated of an answer at me as you want ;-) .

I just want to see if the system I've come up with is weak, standard, or above average in terms of attention to detail and accuracy.

Thanks ;-D .
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

5x5 rankings

Postby bigjimblue » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:29 pm

I play both this type and point leagues. First of all I gather as many projections as possible. Then I spreadsheet for the particular type league. Surprizingly after Pujols and Rodriguez the rankings vary significally!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Re: 5x5 rankings

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:47 pm

bigjimblue wrote:I play both this type and point leagues. First of all I gather as many projections as possible. Then I spreadsheet for the particular type league. Surprizingly after Pujols and Rodriguez the rankings vary significally!

So you just gather projections and average them in order to rank?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:58 pm

Are we secretive today?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby thinkspin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:01 pm

Ranking players is as complex as you want it to be. Many people just average a bunch of different sources and feel it is good enough. Others use formulas that they tweak continuously to come up with a linear ranking.

But ranking players CORRECTLY is very complicated. If you are looking for your own method, a good place to start would be the 2005 Regular Season statistics. Rank using your method and see if it compares with what other sites/sources say.

Can you describe your system?
thinkspin
College Coach
College Coach

Secretive?

Postby bigjimblue » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:07 pm

[quote="shortsavage"]Are we secretive today?[/quote]

Yes, there is a particular source I believe is more accurate than any other. I weight it twice as much as the others. If you look at the thread here on the CAFE about whose projections are historically the most accurate, it won't be hard to guess who I'm talking about!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lbbaseball14 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:10 pm

Yes, there is a particular source I believe is more accurate than any other. I weight it twice as much as the others. If you look at the thread here on the CAFE about whose projections are historically the most accurate, it won't be hard to guess who I'm talking about!

Is it really that big of a deal??
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby djacks » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:10 pm

My hitter rankings are a whole lot different from my points league rankings actually...I just bump up players with speed and higher averages a little more, but not a lot.

Pitchers on the other hand vary quite a bit. Points leagues tend to favor power pitchers much more than "effecient" pitchers. 5x5 leagues favor low whip and era pitchers and of course closers are much more valuable in roto than in most point leagues. Guys like Hudson and Pettite are ranked higher for roto than for points leagues...IMO.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Big Deal

Postby bigjimblue » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:16 pm

[quote="lbbaseball14"][quote]Yes, there is a particular source I believe is more accurate than any other. I weight it twice as much as the others. If you look at the thread here on the CAFE about whose projections are historically the most accurate, it won't be hard to guess who I'm talking about![/quote]

Is it really that big of a deal??[/quote]

I believe it's the difference in winning your league or just finishing in the middle of the pack!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thinkspin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:17 pm

Are we talking about RANKING players or PROJECTIONS? Big difference...
thinkspin
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers