Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you rank for 5x5?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thinkspin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:15 am

shortsavage wrote:Yeah, I've done all of that. I have polished rankings.

Hehe, I guess I don't know how to ask the question I'm interested in.

Thanks for wasting my time then...
thinkspin
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:34 am

A HR is a HR is a HR. I do not believe in the standard deviation method. Two guys who hit 20 HR and get 20 SB are as valuable as one that hits 40 HR and one that steals 40 bases(assuming all the other numbers match of course).

Other than that I average a couple projections and then look at some component skills and adjust the projections I do not like. Then I create a formula that ranks the players by my projections. Finally I will move players up and down based on how much of a 'sure thing' I feel they are and then look at a bunch of mocks to come up with an idea of where they are normally drafted which I use to decide when to wait on a player who i think is undervalued.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:11 pm

are you looking to comapre formulas that gives wieght to certain categories so that you can put everybody in a nice top 100 or 150 list automatically?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:20 pm

Ender wrote:Two guys who hit 20 HR and get 20 SB are as valuable as one that hits 40 HR and one that steals 40 bases(assuming all the other numbers match of course).

The player who hits 40/40 is more valuable than the 20/20 players in combination because his production only takes one line-up/roster spot and at most 162 games. The combo takes two roster spots and at most 324 games. In theory you could platoon two 20/20 players and match the production of a 40/40 player but if you can pull that off in reality you may want to start playing the lotto regularly. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:31 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Ender wrote:Two guys who hit 20 HR and get 20 SB are as valuable as one that hits 40 HR and one that steals 40 bases(assuming all the other numbers match of course).

The player who hits 40/40 is more valuable than the 20/20 players in combination because his production only takes one line-up/roster spot and at most 162 games. The combo takes two roster spots and at most 324 games. In theory you could platoon two 20/20 players and match the production of a 40/40 player but if you can pull that off in reality you may want to start playing the lotto regularly. :-b

yeah no kidding :-b
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:04 pm

Amazinz wrote:

I think you misread what I posted. Two guys who hit 20 HR and 20 SB each are as valuable as one guy that hits 40 HR with 0 SB and one that hits 0 HR with 40 SB... assuming the R/RBI and AVG are all equal. The net result either way is 2 roster slots providing 40 HR and 40 SB.

When people use the standard of deviation method of ranking players it devalues balanced players and puts a premium on players who excel in one stat, I don't agree with that at all.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby shortsavage » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:41 pm

wrveres wrote:

are you looking to comapre formulas that gives wieght to certain categories so that you can put everybody in a nice top 100 or 150 list automatically?

I already have a rank function giving me a nice 100 list automatically :-D .

Just wondering how other people do their rankings more for fun than for reference.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:43 pm

I don't really do a top 100 ... I am more of a tiers guys
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby shortsavage » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:44 pm

Ender wrote:When people use the standard of deviation method of ranking players it devalues balanced players and puts a premium on players who excel in one stat, I don't agree with that at all.

To counter this, I made it so extreme deviations are weighted more heavily. That way stolen base guys who only get value from steals get their proper worth and even Sean Casey has some value.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:46 pm

wrveres wrote:I don't really do a top 100 ... I am more of a tiers guys

I like tiers and dollar values. I wish the Cafe would have rankers come up with dollar values and tiers...maybe have a team rather than a bunch of random people's rankings averaged for the rankings that are posted on the site.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers