Return to Baseball Leftovers

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Postby bellings » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:19 pm

This is just generally related to sports, not specifically baseball. Sean Taylor (Redskins) was fined $17,000 for spitting in another player's face, but NOT suspended. I realize that football players don't get as many games as baseball players, so a 1-game suspension is a lot, but how could they not suspend him at all? This isn't like managers arguing with umps where you can see some spray coming from both mouths, he intentionally spit in the guys face right in from of the ref. At least he got ejected.

Can you imagine if Varitek would of hacked a big one in A-Rods face? I think that MLB would have handled it differently.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:24 pm

But the NFL is the no tolerance league ;-7 .
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Marlins#1 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:34 pm

The NFL is in the Playoffs. Aint no way there gona suspended somone for one game . If this was the regular season , he woulda got suspended.
Marlins#1
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:17 pm

bellings wrote:This is just generally related to sports, not specifically baseball. Sean Taylor (Redskins) was fined $17,000 for spitting in another player's face, but NOT suspended. I realize that football players don't get as many games as baseball players, so a 1-game suspension is a lot, but how could they not suspend him at all? This isn't like managers arguing with umps where you can see some spray coming from both mouths, he intentionally spit in the guys face right in from of the ref. At least he got ejected.

Can you imagine if Varitek would of hacked a big one in A-Rods face? I think that MLB would have handled it differently.

I guess you've forgotten the Robbie Alomar incident?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby mikhayl » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:20 pm

I think there are two factors at work here. First it would be patently unfair to make the Washington Redskins play without Taylor in a playoff game.

More importantly, Bill Romanowski spat in the face of JJ Stokes in a game in 1997. No suspension, $7,500 fine. Right or wrong, that's the precedent.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:23 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
bellings wrote:This is just generally related to sports, not specifically baseball. Sean Taylor (Redskins) was fined $17,000 for spitting in another player's face, but NOT suspended. I realize that football players don't get as many games as baseball players, so a 1-game suspension is a lot, but how could they not suspend him at all? This isn't like managers arguing with umps where you can see some spray coming from both mouths, he intentionally spit in the guys face right in from of the ref. At least he got ejected.

Wasn't he suspended 5 or 6 games for spitting in Hirchbeck's face? I remember there was a big controversy among umpires after that season, but I don't remember it that well as that was one of the first few years I started really watching baseball "full-time."
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:23 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

I didn't. :-B
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -710)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:26 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

I didn't. :-B

The Orioles were playing the Jays at SkyDome that night, from what I can remember.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers