Return to Baseball Leftovers

Corey Patterson to O's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SCARPARIELLI » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:12 pm

I don't give a sh!t about his work ethic or his swing mechanics if he goes 20/20 and can hit .270 for my fantasy team while costing me next to nothing.
SCARPARIELLI
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:14 pm

He could be a sleeper IF he gets the starting job over Matos.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:40 pm

I remember when this guy was drafted #3, he was a no-miss prospect. And he was, until that ACL injury in summer 2003. He was on pace for a .290/30 HR/100 RBI/20+ steal season until that happened, and he's never been the same since. Another sad chapter in Cubs history.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:52 pm

i would've traded him for 4 soft tacos and a mexican pizza, but then again i'd rather know what really goes into Taco Bell food than to watch that miserable hack play another second for the Cubs.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby foulballstrike3 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:55 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:He could be a sleeper IF he gets the starting job over Matos.

First of all, the O's gave up nobody for him. Spears was rated as the #14 prospect by orioleshangout.com, and Perez was #36. I saw Spears play at Frederick, and he's just a slapstick hitter without any speed to drool over. I never saw Perez play, they say he played or was destined to play for the Shorebirds next year. The O's farm system is brutal, and for these guys to be ranked that low is saying a lot!!

Anyways, he doesn't have to compete w/ Matos for CF (Matos is just as bad as Patterson by the way), because there are basically 4 spots up for grabs w/ the O's and 4 guys to maneuver around for them. Those positions are CF, LF, 1B and DH. Matos can play CF, Patterson LF, Conine 1B and Lopez DH. I see the O's doing exactly what they did last year, switching guys around constantly. Gibbons can play RF, 1B or DH. C. Gomez will start the season at 2B and play some at 1B, and can and will spot Mora and Tejada. CPatt will go back and forth between CF and LF. Conine will play 1B, LF or DH. Lopez will DH primarily, but now they have made him completely expendable (he won't even spell Hernandez if Gil makes the squad). Matos is basically Patterson, but Patterson is better defensively. They both can't hit, and they both have speed.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:55 pm

So does this make Jay Gibbons expendable? While the players have backed off of their trade demands, the teams are still talking (or so I've heard). IIRC, Boston wanted Gibbons in addition to Tejada but Baltimore balked at including him. Perhaps acquiring Patterson would make this more acceptable for them?
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby foulballstrike3 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:59 pm

George_Foreman wrote:So does this make Jay Gibbons expendable? While the players have backed off of their trade demands, the teams are still talking (or so I've heard). IIRC, Boston wanted Gibbons in addition to Tejada but Baltimore balked at including him. Perhaps acquiring Patterson would make this more acceptable for them?

I don't see Gibbons going anywhere, as I stated in my previous post, if anything this makes Javy more expendable because they can push Conine to 1B.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikhayl » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:48 pm

foulballstrike3 wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:He could be a sleeper IF he gets the starting job over Matos.

Anyways, he doesn't have to compete w/ Matos for CF (Matos is just as bad as Patterson by the way), because there are basically 4 spots up for grabs w/ the O's and 4 guys to maneuver around for them. Those positions are CF, LF, 1B and DH. Matos can play CF, Patterson LF, Conine 1B and Lopez DH. I see the O's doing exactly what they did last year, switching guys around constantly. Gibbons can play RF, 1B or DH. C. Gomez will start the season at 2B and play some at 1B, and can and will spot Mora and Tejada. CPatt will go back and forth between CF and LF. Conine will play 1B, LF or DH. Lopez will DH primarily, but now they have made him completely expendable (he won't even spell Hernandez if Gil makes the squad). Matos is basically Patterson, but Patterson is better defensively. They both can't hit, and they both have speed.

In any case, Matos will be injured.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:36 pm

Hmmm. One has to wonder why the Cubs would even bother dealing Patterson if this is the best they could get.

So whatis it with the O's taking on washed up and worthless Cubs OFs? First Sosa, now Patterson.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby foulballstrike3 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:00 am

[quote="mikhayl"[In any case, Matos will be injured.[/quote]

One can only dream
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor