Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:04 pm

wrveres wrote:Im pulling for him .. ;-D
Now more than ever

As a Cardinal fan I totally agree. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:16 pm

rototimes wrote:Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo has indicated that he would love to bat Corey Patterson (OF) Bal second in the batting order, assuming that the center fielder can cut down on his strikeouts, according to the Baltimore Sun. "We need a No. 2 guy to move the ball around, hit and run and steal, and he seems like he has some of those qualities," Perlozzo said. "But we'll have to see in the spring. If he's not a good guy for that, he'll hit lower in the order."

Interesting news here IF Cpat can hit in the 2nd spot. I would just wonder if he would show the patience to allow Roberts a chance to steal 2nd base.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby foulballstrike3 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:21 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
rototimes wrote:Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo has indicated that he would love to bat Corey Patterson (OF) Bal second in the batting order, assuming that the center fielder can cut down on his strikeouts, according to the Baltimore Sun. "We need a No. 2 guy to move the ball around, hit and run and steal, and he seems like he has some of those qualities," Perlozzo said. "But we'll have to see in the spring. If he's not a good guy for that, he'll hit lower in the order."

Interesting news here IF Cpat can hit in the 2nd spot. I would just wonder if he would show the patience to allow Roberts a chance to steal 2nd base.

If Roberts isn't back by Opening Day, Patterson would have to be the most likely candidate to hit leadoff. Brob didn't steal a base after the first two months last year anyways, but no, CPat is not the guy you want at the plate if you're trying to swipe a bag. The O's definitely do not have a #2 hitter in the lineup, but what's Perlozzo supposed to think, this is what he's been given. Poor Sammy, he'll get run out of town like all the rest of his predecessors because they aren't competing any time soon. The only way they do, is if they dump $60M+ per year towards next year's free agent class.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:29 pm

What is wrong with Mora batting 2nd? He's a much better option that C-Pat.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby ThatDude » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:19 pm

Corey with patience at the plate?

Corey as a leadoff hitter?

Corey as a #2 hitter?

The simple answer to all of those questions is a resounding NO.

He just doesnt have the plate discipline to do any of those things successfully. the O's best bet would be to bury him down in the 7 spot and see if he can get his swing down.

And dont be surprised when you see him strike out 3 times in a game on the same face-high fastball.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:55 pm

Lou Brock struck out a TON too...and, according to David Halberstam's October 1964, was also razzed for fielding....I am not going to draft CPat but I'll keep an eye on him, it'll be interesting to see if he can get it together...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby ThatDude » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:22 pm

The comparisions to Lou Brock arent exactly fair.

At the time the Brock/Broglio trade happened, the Cubs got back two former 20-game winners in Broglio and Bobby Schantz, and we were willing to give a talented but raw OF named Brock. At the time, it was one of those deals that looked good for both sides, and it was believed that the two pitchers would help the Cubs win sooner than Brock would. As it turned out, Shantz's arm fell off after 43 innings, and Broglio spent the next few years battling injury and managed just over 210 IP from the time he joined the Cubs until he was done in '66.

That deal was made to make a push at the postseason, whereas this deal was made to clear out a player that was deemed "uncoachable".

The only thing the Brock and Patterson trades have in common is that a talented but raw OF was traded away.

I might take a late round flyer on Corey in my roto league. He could be a 20/20 guy this year, and thats worth a gamble on the 23rd pick.

I wont go anywhere near him in my points league, as every K is -1, and i dont need his 140 K's bringing me down.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby foulballstrike3 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:What is wrong with Mora batting 2nd? He's a much better option that C-Pat.

Mora is basically their 3 hitter, assuming they wanna keep Tejada at 4. If Tejada isn't their cleanup hitter, I dunno who would be (Javy?) Mora had an OBP of about .350 last year (which isn't bad) and he obviously has speed as was evidenced by his SBs as recently as two years ago. However, he led the team in HRs last year, do you wanna put one of your "boppers" in the #2 spot.

Gibbons didn't even reach 500 ABs last year, and if he had he would have led the team in HRs. I can't see him being their #3 hitter, and I am a HUGE Gibby fan. After the AS break, he was basically the only guy that was ripping the ball. He didn't get a ton of ABs vs. lefties but he was even ripping them (I really think if and when he doesn't have to be switched out for situational hitting he is gonna flourish this year). They may bat Gibby 3rd vs. righties which could allow Mora to bat #2. I personally wish they would stick to a consistent lineup, but I just can't see that happening w/ the amount of holes in the O's lineup.

I wanna see Patterson batting 7th at the earliest.

Roberts
Gibbons???
Mora
Tejada
Lopez
Conine
Patterson
Hernandez
Matos

I dunno, what they're gonna do w/ this lineup. If they put Gibby down in the 6 hole, they'll probably bat Hernandez 7th to separate Gibbons and Cpat (both lefties). Conine is the mystery guy here, do they push him down to the bottom of the lineup or leave him in the 6 or 7 hole? Matos and Patterson both have talent, they just both suck. Patterson has more promise then Matos obviously, Matos was supposed to be decent and he sucks, Patterson was supposed to be great and he sucks.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:22 pm

ThatDude wrote:The only thing the Brock and Patterson trades have in common is that a talented but raw OF was traded away.

well, that was the point, there's a bit of similiarity there that bears some comparison. Plus, of course, the Cubs floundering around trying to do something. :-D

What the heck they are doing w/ what they got from the O's I can't imagine...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:55 pm

CPat should be a really attractive choice for the last couple of rounds in alot of formats (Not OBP leagues mind you). A possible 20/20 guy who hits .270 for the last round? I'd take that. Also, the worst that happens is your 2nd-last round pick doesn't pan out, which is acceptable.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers