Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weekly contests to keep fantasy leagues exciting???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weekly contests to keep fantasy leagues exciting???

Postby lbbaseball14 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:22 pm

I'm the commish of a league with a bunch of my friends and 3 or 4 of the managers love fantasy baseball but just seemed to get bored because they were losing. I'm trying to come up with something new this year that might give even the teams at the bottom of the standings something to play for. It's a 10 team roto league and its usually a 20 dollar entry fee. Any ideas?
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:33 pm

Make it a H2H league. Teams seem to stay much more involved when there's still a chance they could be spoilers near the end of the season.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:37 pm

Weekly prizes are a lot easier with points leagues. H2H is a lot more exciting, too. Maybe you should look into trying a different scoring system.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby lbbaseball14 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:41 pm

they refuse to use H2H for some reason even though I would like to change the format. They only like roto :-? ??? I guess theres not much i can do
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby JTWood » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:45 pm

If you don't go to H2H, there's little hope. With H2H, a great option for involvement is a post-season consolation tournament where the winner gets something to help him out for the following season. That gives the owner a reason to play for this year as well as future seasons.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:54 pm

Kicking owners out my league has become one of my favorite things to do ;-) .

Seriously though, I've found that making a waiting list and letting owners who do not actively participate know about it does wonders for participation.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:48 am

Perhaps, rather than running it by the 'winners', who may be the more active owners, it might be of some use to enlist the bottom feeders on your side and just TRY an H2H league for a one year trial? As Bob Dylan said, 'when you ain't got nothin' you've got nothin' to lose...'!

Or, as an even better benchmark, do the usual money league and run an H2H league w/ the same teams on the side? That might be an interesting experiment. It seems easy but I don't recall reading about anybody doing that...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby foulballstrike3 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:34 am

It's extremely difficult to do w/ only $200 in the prize pool. We have 10 owners at $100 a pop, so we give out $10 per week for the first 20 weeks before the postseason by doing best output per 5X5 category twice. For example, week 1 we might do best BA amongst teams and the same goes for week 11 etc. We then give $250 for regular season champ and $100 for regular season runner up. $250 for playoff champ, $125 for playoff runner up and $75 for playoff 3rd place.

This sure makes it difficult for anyone to make a mortgage payment w/ their winnings :-D , but hey, it keeps everyone interested and makes it even more entertaining.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby foulballstrike3 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:36 am

It's extremely difficult to do w/ only $200 in the prize pool. We have 10 owners at $100 a pop, so we give out $10 per week for the first 20 weeks before the postseason by doing best output per 5X5 category twice. For example, week 1 we might do best BA amongst teams and the same goes for week 11 etc. We then give $250 for regular season champ and $100 for regular season runner up. $250 for playoff champ, $125 for playoff runner up and $75 for playoff 3rd place.

This sure makes it difficult for anyone to make a mortgage payment w/ their winnings :-D , but hey, it keeps everyone interested and makes it even more entertaining.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:03 am

Is there any keeper aspect to the league? In my kinda expensive 20-team mixed league some of the rebuilders are just as active as the teams that are in it.

Do you guys do any in-person league events? That always helps interest.

Give a cash award to the non-cashing team that gains the most category points from the all-star break til the end of the season.

Find some kind of real or funny penalty for finishing X number of points out of the money. Like the league gets to vote on your team name the following year or you lose a keeper slot.

Do a monthly newsletter with highlights - make up reasons to highlight some of teams lesser in the standings based on some of the things their team did that month. Make up goofy awards like the Bass Ackwards Award or designate a Staff Abuse Awareness week and make sure you throw in a Poster Child !+)

There are some ideas. Maybe the best would be to increase the money aspect.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers